Author Topic: Making bigger shoot ends for knapped heads.  (Read 2108 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Making bigger shoot ends for knapped heads.
« on: March 13, 2016, 12:17:14 pm »
  Theres alot of people on here that has a hard time thinning those knapped heads down to 1/8 thick really good looking heads. So they can put in place on those 3/8's shafts. Along time ago I fixed this problem by cuting all my shoots 1/2" to 5/8"s.

Then I rasp the shoot down illimitating all those little curves and kinks. Tappering as I go at the big end I'll leave that end bigger so I can half those thicker bigger harder to break heads in that arrow.

Just leave the big end big enough to hafe those bigger knapped heads. Instead of trying to big them in the adverage 3/8's big end of your shaft. It not only leaves room for those thicker heads. But the bigger longer shoots end is heaveyer.

Personally I like 1/4" thick heads for hunting.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aaron

Re: Making bigger shoot ends for knapped heads.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:36:41 pm »
Great idea.. I struggle to get points thin enough, and when they are , they're so light and the arrow acts overspined. This method solves both problems.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Making bigger shoot ends for knapped heads.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:44:51 pm »
I use a drill and sand paper taper down my dowel shafts. I found that using the end that was in the chuck to attach points accomplishes the same thing. It ends up wider having not been sanded as much. Just a little hand sanding to remove the marks from the chuck and you're good to go.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna