Author Topic: Anybody try Forsythia?  (Read 2007 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Anybody try Forsythia?
« on: March 22, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »
Hi guys I'm new here and real green but I made a bakers dozen arrows stone points I knaped hardwood fore shafts and forsythia main shafts. They shoot real nice with my bow and I change foreshaft to field point shaft for target. Forsythia is ornamental shrub easy to find always needs to be trimmed arround here. They are hollow don't know spine but after bark is stripped and dry they stiffen up nice. Not sure if there primitive but works for me
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Anybody try Forsythia?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:04:51 am »
I should add if anybody wants to try them. I always use hard wood nock and sinew wrap any place that might split. They straighten easy with small amount of heat and can be easily reamed out to accept foreshaft. I don't have spine tester but feel really close to same size red osier. I can't seem to figure out how to make my pictures small enough to post. ( not real good on computer and using my iPhone too) I don't have boo or river cane but lots of forsythia and red osier

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:31:17 am »
Just to let you know I shoot my arrows rawhide backed ash bow pull my draw 48#@ 24.5" bow is close to center shoot but like these shafts

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:58:46 am »
I've never used Forsythia for arrows but I've seen them before. I have a good bit growing here but never tried it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:04:22 am »
It would be interesting to see what someone with more experience than myself thought of them. I've never broke forsythia main shaft have missed target hit wall and broke fore shaft.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:13:34 pm »
Going to try to post some pictures

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 12:40:20 pm »
Picture of 3rd and 4th attempts at bows big one rawhide backed ash 48#@24.5" little one I built for grandson HHB Ironwood 39"n-n 6#@20.5" arrows I knapped points Forsytia main shaft hardwood fore shaft sinew wrapped turkey primaries (some roughed up from pasting through my target) little arrows forsythia shaft sinew wrapped turkey fetching copper wire hammer and soldered for broad head inserted wire like foreshaft