Author Topic: NA arrows, hunting and war arrows?  (Read 3550 times)

Offline comsio

NA arrows, hunting and war arrows?
« on: March 26, 2016, 05:19:06 pm »
Regarding native americans, were there differences between war and hunting arrows? A Lakota said yes, some bow makers said no.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: NA arrows, hunting and war arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:28:14 pm »
I think that depends largely on tribal and personal preferences. As best I can tell, most Cheyenne points were not barbed, but there are a lot of Kiowa and Lakota points that are. I think the barbed points were certainly for warfare. The points that weren't barbed could be used for either purpose. Curtis

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »
I would consider all of these war points. They are all barbed and several have a tapered bases so that they will pull off of the shaft.  Curtis

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:31:33 pm »
These could be used for hunting or war. They are easier to pull out of animals than the ones previously posted.  Curtis

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:00:36 pm »
Didn't some tribes use single side notch points so that the points would become lodged in their enemies when they attempted to remove the arrow? I can't imagine they would do this for hunting

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:31:57 am »
I'm not familiar with single barbed points on the plains, but it would not surprise me if they were being used somewhere in North America.  CC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »
Any arrow can be a war arrow.  One report of a US Cavalry casualty in the Southwest recorded that an "Apache blunt headed arrow pierced the chest and killed him"

I have been told by that arrows that can be easily removed are hunting arrows and arrows with barbs are war arrows.  I can imagine carrying both in a quiver.