Author Topic: rant  (Read 15757 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: rant
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »
I was concerned about the direction this "rant" would go when it first came out. Religion and politics are at the top of the "do not do" list for a reason. 
 Please keep this civil folks.

I'm personally quite impressed at the level of maturity that has been displayed in this thread.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2016, 07:25:14 pm »
 There in my way of thinking as men that love the same sport not to be able to get along.
It is good to disagree agreeably and still work together. It makes us men.
What ever happened to men like John Wayne and Fess Parker ?
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2016, 07:54:40 pm »
John Wayne and Fess Parker? They're dead. Oh, yea, don't forget about Rock Hudson, either. Bet you old timers thought he was Manly, too. This whole conversation could have been discussed with a simple, "I don't like homosexual commercials", without religion ever being mentioned.

People in the US tend to forget this is an International Forum and not everyone agrees with how people in the US think. Lot's of different religions out there and some of you might have been at hunt camp with Homosexuals that have been afraid to tell you because of your personal views, maybe a brother or sister, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 08:00:08 pm »
Joe, it has been civil so far but I've been a part of PA long enough and I know where these conversations will generally end up. I didn't put a stop to it and I only gave my perspective as everyone else has...but if it does go south I do hold the ax!
Spotted Dog, didn't those guys shoot the people they didn't agree with.
 I don't think being a man has much to do with it. Either a person is respectful or not, male or female.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 08:41:18 pm »
Well that was a fun read while eating dinner! 
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »
I never watch commercials.  I DVR shows that I want to watch, mostly crime dramas and outdoor related stuff.  I watch them later and skip all the adds.    I wish there was a way to do a pay per channel option with satellite TV.  I only watch about 8 channels but I pay for over 100.

No comment on religion or other topics discussed on this thread  :-X
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 10:26:03 pm »
 Pat the reason I mentioned John and Fess is to go back to the original reason for the thread. It was safe as a boy to watch for me.
I never liked Hudson. I did not want to go here but. There is always a but. My younger brother died one day before his thirtieth
birthday. He died of aids . All his buddies have too. I did not like having my 3 sons around them when they were little.
As a father and grandfather I look out for what they did and what my grandchildren see. I can't always but will do my best to.
I would not let my sons watch Saving Private Ryan when it was out.  It was hard for me. Blood and guts is not the reason.
My 93 year old dad landed on that beach. When I started watching it I turned it off and went outside and cried knowing my
dad lived through that hell. 
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 10:54:03 pm »
Spotted Dog, it wasn't Pat that brought up Fess and the boys, it was me. I didn't want to go there either, my younger brother overdosed a few years ago with depression, alcoholism  and hiding his life of being gay with a few in the family having nothing to do with him. Like I said, Religion had nothing to do with this thread till someone brought it up  to make themselves feel good about their faith and to make a statement.

And, like I said above; you never really know who you are sitting next to around a campfire, everyone deserves respect.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 11:03:27 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss, Spotted Dog.
 Clint, I wish the did have pay for what you watch. Like you we pay for lots of TV we don't watch and we have the cheapest plan available. Actually, we had this plan for so long they don't offer it anymore and still 90% of what's on it we don't watch. Thank goodness for Netflix.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 11:21:04 pm »
We can't do netflix Pat.  We live in the backwoods and can't get high speed internet.  We have to get a verizon hot spot to get service.  We have a limited data amount.  We can't watch any videos.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 11:30:01 pm »
You can get Netflix movie and TV show discs delivered by mail. They send another when you send that one back.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:51 am »
Interesting thread, no need for me to comment most that know me know how I feel about all of this.  Eddie, respect, live and let live a big YES, agreed with and want me to say it is right NO.I Agree TV stinks pretty bad, I just love the adds at supper time. Miss Joanie and I laugh ever time we see it, she says if I have a problem for 4 hours I will need more than a doctor, I will need a undertaker. ??? ::) ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:45 am »
We haven't had cable, satellite or even a simple antennae for over 7 years.  We don't even stream internet.  We watch DVD movies.  We get them in the $5 dollar bin, rummage sales or pawn shops for a couple bucks.  Or, we'll rent a movie if there's something new out the really interests us.  Yep, there are a few shows that we miss, but most of them are also available in DVD. 

We couldn't change what is put on TV, so we eliminated it.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:39 am »
We haven't had cable, satellite or even a simple antennae for over 7 years.  We don't even stream internet.  We watch DVD movies.  We get them in the $5 dollar bin, rummage sales or pawn shops for a couple bucks.  Or, we'll rent a movie if there's something new out the really interests us.  Yep, there are a few shows that we miss, but most of them are also available in DVD. 

We couldn't change what is put on TV, so we eliminated it.

That's a good way to do it. I used to be the same way, at one point I had something like 700 dvds (full tv series and movies) so I basically just had my own tv channel and would play what I want when I wanted.

Eventually Netflix replaced the need for that though, but it serves the same purpose. I think I only typically watch commercials during the superbowl. Everything else is usually watched a year later on Netflix/Amazon Prime

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:22 am »
I never watch commercials.  I DVR shows that I want to watch, mostly crime dramas and outdoor related stuff.  I watch them later and skip all the adds.    I wish there was a way to do a pay per channel option with satellite TV.  I only watch about 8 channels but I pay for over 100.

No comment on religion or other topics discussed on this thread  :-X

Play station just launched a pay per channel option. I am leaning hard that direction as well. I just don't need all those home shopping channels.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.