Author Topic: 60" 65# Osage takedown Buffalo Bow?  (Read 11215 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: 60" 65# Osage takedown Buffalo Bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 06:10:59 am »
thats an interesting idea with the f- glass....shiver.... sorry, anyhow, what do you guys think about maybe wrapping strips of rawhide around the splice, rather than the f-glass? maybe to keep it a bit more paleo?

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 08:14:35 am »
I think it was 1 in.  across.It was not a shooting bow,well it was at one time,it was 2.Had a top limb break on one and a bottom on another so I just cut them at the handle and put them togeather.
I spliced them first then re tillered.They were 2 different kinds of Osage one real yellow and the other dark so it was interesting to tiller but seemed to work out fine.It would probably be eaiser to take a shooting bow already tillered and cut it in half.That shouldn't change the tiller much.  :) See if this helps the picture,don't know what happened.
    Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:32:50 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 09:34:45 am »
my idea was to make the sleeve out of cow-rawhide, as used in dog chewing bones (entire width of handle wrapped around twice) and then wrap it with hemp soaked in woodglue.  that should be able to handle the stress (i hope, since i was gonna try it one of these days  ;D ) like pappy said, i already had a candidate with a straight parallel handle i was gonna cut in two.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »
I would think that would work,but I will let you try if first,just watch your eyes on the first
full draw. ;D ;) Let us know how it goes if you are able. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 09:12:12 pm »
Yeah, I really don't want to use synthetic materials if I don't have too. If I do it will be to sleeve it with the Titanium Orien offered and then maybe put some horn sections cut in half and then glued together to form fit for a paleo exteriror of the splice section. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has worked bison bone before though so that I can get a good idea of its density and how thick I would need to leave it in order to hadnle the strain. I will probabely do some tests on it before I go full bore in one direction or another where that parts of it is concerned.  I not only want it to be durable and functional but beautiful as well without having too much of a modern manufactored look.  I like the discourse though fellas. Keep em coming.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God