Author Topic: Whats your faviorite bow finish?  (Read 38939 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Whats your faviorite bow finish?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 01:34:23 pm »
Mostly Tru-Oil. Occasionally I'll use T-bird expoxy if I need a bullet-proof finish.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 01:49:45 pm »
I have used Tru-Oil for many years and on many bows of many designs and never had it crack. Also, I have sat through some terrible downpours while hunting and the water beaded of. When caught in a rain storm I continue to hunt as long as I can stand it but when I get out of the stand I immediate unbrace the bow and give it a good wipe down with a dry towel when I get back to camp.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Centerless

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 01:57:15 pm »
The cracks in the tru-oil certainly could be my fault, maybe got it on too thick on each coat.  I have had at least three bows where the tru-oil cracked, always on the tension side.  These are very thin, just have to be in the right light to see cracks.  Maybe I stare at my bows too much, but they are there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 03:07:29 pm »
  I've had Tru-oil crack when I put it on too thick. Also, unless you want an ugly mess, don't spray Lacquer over Tru-oil.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 03:21:43 pm »
animal fat for me. water isnt a problem for bows . water vapor as in humidity is. ive found nothing works better at keeping moisture out of wood like grease or oil. thats why oily woods dont really need a finish , they are already protected .

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 05:20:35 pm »
I had Tru-oil chrysal on the belly of one bow. I think I put the individual coats on way too thick and pulled the bow before it was completely dry. Other than that, I haven't had any problems with it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 05:58:09 pm »
My latest bow, that I finished this week I used a 50/50 mix of shellac and linseed oil, rubbed in makes a real nice finish.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

SimonUK

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »
Only ever tried linseed oil and beeswax. I don't know how it compares to others, but it smells great.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether oil reduces the draw weight of a bow? Or the performance?

Offline akila

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 07:39:14 pm »
Hello ...can you plz tell me how do you aply beeswax...do you melt it first...or do you rub the bow with solid beeswax, and thenn heat it with a heat-gun???? and can you make it to have that shiny aspect??(glose aspect)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 09:04:20 pm »
Hello ...can you plz tell me how do you aply beeswax...do you melt it first...or do you rub the bow with solid beeswax, and thenn heat it with a heat-gun???? and can you make it to have that shiny aspect??(glose aspect)

You can just rub the wood with the Beeswax...and use a Heat Gun or your Wifes Hair Dryer.....the Later can be ugly if She catches you!!!! And just heat it till it absorbs into the wood...keep putting it on till it wont all soak in...let cool...wipe clean....your done......

Or you can melt it and add about 1/4 vaseline to 3/4 beeswax....mix it good....and rub this into the wood...

I prefer either Bear Grease (Tallow or Lard of any kind will work)....or Beeswax myself...quick and easy.....and the wood loves it...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 09:40:32 pm »
Pure Tung Oil....not the kind you buy at the local hardaware store (which is mixed with mineral spirits, wax, etc.).
I'm going to make the switch to animal fat & beeswax soon, though...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 10:09:16 am »
1st coat a mixture of 50% danish oli and 50% Turpentine
than 3 coats of 100% danish oil
than 2-3 coats of hard carnuba wax polished on with a buffing machine
Dresden - Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 10:53:18 am »
Usually Tru oil.and then car wax or spray on polyurethane.Satin finish to dull it or just light steel wool.I with Pat usually 5 or 6 coats if I plan on hunting with it,especially Hickory.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:12 am »
I use mainly tru oil and spar urethane. Light coats with steel wool in between each coat. At least 4 coats. Not had any of the previous problems with cracking/peeling off. Also use linseed and really like the natural finish topped with beeswax. It just takes a little longer to dry and seal than other methods, but I like it. Getting harder to find natural linseed that isn't chemically treated(boiled?).
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline adb

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »
I like wipe-on semigloss polyurathane. It dries very quick, and gives a super nice finish. For a more natural route, I like tung oil. Make sure you get the fast drying stuff, otherwise it takes FOREVER. Over the tung oil, I also like to rub and polish in a layer of beeswax.