Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 1737 times)

Offline ryder

Tiller check please
« on: April 05, 2016, 06:43:17 am »
Getting towards the pointy end, looking for a quick tiller check please

Natural profile of stave. Stave is 70" NTN, 1 3/4 wide

Current profile drawn to 20ish inch @ 40 lb (String is a little stretchy, not the proper bowstring obviously)

Right limb will be the lower one.

Running out of room to fix it, once I get an even tiller I intend to finish it to 55lb @ 30". It's only at 40lb now but 20", I'd better play it very careful from here on out  :o

Offline k-hat

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:58 am »
Is that a long string?  If so, I'd first shorten the string up until you have to stretch it to just get it on the nocks, then look again.  I'v done it in a pinch with a string like that to where i set it up for a low brace but the bow ends up stretching the string taut against the belly.  That is usually after floor tiller though, not this late in the game.  At this point in the game, the long string (or excessively stretchy string) lies.  Get a proper string on that baby, she deserves it ;)

Offline ryder

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:21:38 am »
It wasn't a LONG string, had to brace it to get it strung, but wow it was a lot more stretchy than i thought! Have it strung now with a B-50 string, a lower brace height than I'll be using but wow what a difference it made to drawing it 

Now it's drawing 17" at 40lb, looks to me now to be stiff on the right limb and stiff a few inches either side of 8" from the left side?

Any thoughts on the snakey bit on the right limb?

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:58 am »
The usual advice is to create an even thickness taper following the profile. Looks like there are thick and thin areas on the right limb rather than an even taper, and the fade is a long taper compared to the left limb's concave relief. It's also important to show a view of the back so people can see what kind of tiller it needs, and any flaws or knots.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:59:43 pm »
I agree, that is looks like the taper could be more even on the right limb towards the end,,

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »
Like most bowyers state on here get on the short string ASAP.   Floor tiller and floor tiller first.  I only use the long string to exercise the bow, and most times I go to almost full brace height.  I just finished another laminate bow and Tillered it to about 22" shot the bow in; It took no more set than when I had it on the tiller stick after 80 shots.  The bow begs to be drawn and shot.   Life is good.   :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »
I'd unstring it and go back to the long string until I evened up the limbs and fixed the long string tiller.
Left limb needs to bend more closer to the handle.
Right limb needs to bend more through out.
Mark a dark line at the end of the fades and get the wood moving there in both limbs.
For an elliptical tiler, the bending should start there and then increase outwards.
Are your limbs full width to just past mid limb?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ryder

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:56:14 pm »
Again, thank you for the advice, its very much appreciated :)

Here is a photo of the back

The fade on the right isn't quite right, is it. Wasn't sure how to deal with the snakey bit there and that's what i wound up with

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 06:36:56 pm »
With that shape, elliptical, the way George said. Use your fingers to feel the evenness of the taper in the irregular areas as you reduce.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:30:40 am »
Good luck. I have to watch this one. Thanks for posting as you go.