Author Topic: anchor points  (Read 4913 times)

Offline jayman448

anchor points
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:06:28 pm »
has anyone tried the first finger on the corner of the mouth rather than the middle finger? i was watching Olympic archers trying to pick up on form elements that could help with my trad and primitive shooting. so i tried pulling under my chin and found that my pointer finger to the corner of my mouth is a very natural stable position which puts no stress on my upper shoulder or lowest finger ( the reason i pluck so bad is loading too much on my lowest finger). so anyways i shot a few like this and i am so comfortable and quite acurate with it. the only thing is i tend to hit the tip of my nose from time to time. not enough to even feel really but enough that i wonder if i would be wrong to shoot like this ( for when i get older and my nose swells like all the rest of the men in my family ) XD hah (sorry for my long drawn out posts all the time) 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: anchor points
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
It doesn't matter which finger goes where. Consistency is the key. Your brain is smart enough to take up the slack. Do what is most comfortable for you and works the best for you and be consistent
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:25:24 am »
If you're like me any change seems to be an improvement for about 10 shots, then it's back on my head.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:57:05 pm »
yes any change seems to be an improvement for a bit,,  :)
I have given up trying to figure it out,, I just practice and hope for the best,, and hit what I am aiming at enough that I am ok with my shooting most of the time,, at this point,, my anchor is a bit floating,, close range hunting shots is my main concern,,, I would not recommend it for long range target shooting,,something olympic like seems best for that,, :)

Offline StickMark

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:25:28 pm »
I tried the Olympic anchor, and am fairly good with it.  Tears in my bow arm tendon, tennis elbow, motivated me the change.  Now I draw with the left hand, and hold the bow with the right.  Since I am right eye dominant, I now actually shoot with that dominant eye closed.  I built 68" long bows, dropped draw weight to about 40#, and taped a sight; got decent with the set up coupled with a low, Olympic-style  anchor.

But I found it very hard to draw in hunting situations.  In Missouri, could not draw without being seen, as I had to raise up on my knees instead of shooting on my haunches.  In a brush blind, similar problems.  So I am returning to a higher anchor, and building, returning to, 55-59" bend in handle bows. I hunt primarily in Southern Arizona, and cover can be spare.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 12:29:21 am »
It doesn't matter which finger goes where. Consistency is the key. Your brain is smart enough to take up the slack. Do what is most comfortable for you and works the best for you and be consistent
Yep - consistency is the thing.  My shootin got better when I started anchoring with my thumb knuckle hard under my cheekbone.  I release an arrow only when I feel that familiar pressure to my cheekbone.  Same way every time.  I couldn't do the corner of the mouth thing - my friends say I am not holding my mouth right. :D   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »
  You use the second finger because puts the arrow right under your domain eye. This is why you can hit moving targets. Plus helps when you pick a spot, puts the arrow as close as to where your looking with your eye's.

It helps to ankor lower when shooting at know distances. This is why olympic shooters ankor under their chin. Their recuves are center shot, the bow perfectly virtical. Evenything lines up straight,stance,clear to the string center of the nose.

This won't work in a hunting situtation.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 10:00:10 am »
It takes an extreme amount of practice....trial and error.Stump and target shooting.Different positions.More than what some people think.I know it was for me since I did'nt start shooting till 2009.Shootiing the same bow for an extended time helps too.Lots of shooters have been doing it forever seems like over 40 years for sure.It all depends what you want to do.With style etc.For target shooting maybe olyimpic style will be the most accurate.I would'nt be switching from one to the other.For hunting it's a bit more diverse.Different positions.A deer can get you bent around some to get a good shot.
This gap shooting I'm wondering if it's feasible with an instinctive style.Seen it explained.Never practiced it though.That's why it's important to me to have a flat shooting bow at 20 yards with a heavy arrow.For accuracy reasons.Hitting right where I'm looking at.The gap shooting could help with some 30 to 40 or more yard shots at elk or moose.Bigger vitals to hit.I don't attempt those length of shots at deer.Don't need to.
Accuracy can involve the position of your hand on the bow too so it's a big problem solving procedure.Arrow compatability to bow.Like Pat said do the same consistently and it will have a way of working out on it's own.At least for me it did.
Sorry I may have rehashed what's been said before but it's just my viewpoint that's all.I've had enough success to stay with what works for me.You will too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 06:17:50 pm »
Beadman you must have be my brother. You'll never see me shooting across the yard. Unless it's with a bow I'm building.

I've practiced (pushing 25 years) useing JUDIO'S. I'm all ways doing something I just take my bow along shoot as I go. I ground hog hunt the summers. Just take a judio. I've only ever lost 2 in 100,000's of shots.

IF YOU THINK YOUR SHOOTING OK. GET A JUDIO TAKE A WALK. I KNOW THE OUT COME I'VE SEEN IT DOZZEN TIMES WITH PEOPLE TAGGING ALONG. I'VE BETED A FEW. HAVN'T LOST A DOLLOR.

THIS ISN'T SHOOTING FROM A STAKE OR SHOOTING ACROSS YOUR BACK YARD.

In a hunting form where your crouched forward in a spreaded stance.. Not straight up like olympic shooters that know the distance. Dosn't work on a buck walking past you a 10 yards.

I a hunting stanceand the middle in the corner of your mouth. I use a tooth. This centers your arrow direct'lly under you domate eye. This is how you easy'lly hit moving targets. Ankoring first fingger.

Puts your arrow tip higher than your looking. High shot but ankor middle finger puts that arrow right under your eye.

Here's something everyone that shoots instint'ly. Draw as you use'lly do. But when you arkor release with your third finge down first. You can't stop the other 2 fingers from instive'lly following.

I promass you it will clean up any bad release's. You release the same every time. Once you start the release with the third fingger first there's no stoping it.

When I feel the burn on the side of my third fingger. I know my release was good.

I like to take the creit for this but Howard Hill profect his a long time ago. If you don't know how HOWARD HILL WAS. You nend to do some reading.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:00:46 pm »
I have been shooting alot,getting ready to turkey hunt,,, well I shoot a couple different ways,, I found that when I draw the bow on animal,, I keep my movement to a minimum,,and come straight back,, it takes a bit more strength to come to full draw with little movement,, then I pull through the shot without really hitting anchor,, ok if I am shooting a lighter bow,, I will hit anchor and pull through the  shot,, more of a target form,, it feels a little stiff for me for hunting, I like to pull and shoot all at once,, that way I don't have time to think about it and mess the shot up,,  so I practice both ways,,  I can shoot point on at longer distance,, but for hunting I like to shoot 15 yards and less for deer and turkey,, if I was elk hunting I would extend that out to 25,,
keep practicing and good luck to you guys on your hunting,,  :)