Author Topic: Mid March Red Osier harvest  (Read 1591 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Mid March Red Osier harvest
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:23:54 pm »
I harvested what I think are some really nice Red Osier shoots some well over 6' long and quite straight. I'm still not sure how to tell age. The lower 2/3rds of shoots had no branch's just dried up twigs the top 1/3rd had small twig like branch's. I believe that means at least 2 years old but saw a picture posted of shoots with bright red bark and reply was that it was 1st year. Mine has bright red bark. Also can I continue to harvest through spring and summer? If not when should I stop and when should I start again? I tried posting pictures but didn't work.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Mid March Red Osier harvest
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:51:10 pm »
  If their 6 feet there 3,4 years old.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »
Thank you is there a proper time to harvest or maybe more important not to harvest there were more in this spot.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:26:41 pm »
  I've always cut mine in the winter after our deer season. Ends in JAN. But just because that's the time I'm free.

One word of advice. Cut them above the natural been it'll have. Use'lly 4,5 inchs above the ground.Where when young shoots lean towards the sun. This is almost impossable to get out even this heat. Don't fight it exspecially if ther 6 feet.

I quit takeing out every little been. I cut them 1/2 inch on the big end. Then I JUST RASP THROUGH ALL THE LITTLE BENDS. At the end all you'll have is those long bends there easy to take out.

Save you about half the time heating and bending.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING