Author Topic: (Bow) cutting the back flat???  (Read 2001 times)

Offline nclonghunter

(Bow) cutting the back flat???
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:01:50 pm »
On a wedge split stave and using a common table saw, what is the best way to get a flat and even cut down the back??? I want to put a hickory or bamboo backing on it and need it flat. Just pushing the stave through by hand can and certainly will cause some uneven cuts.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: (Bow) cutting the back flat???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:14 pm »
A farriers rasp will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swimbill

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:22:04 am »
Pushing by hand would be dangerous, I would use a jointer if you have access to one.  If not my second option would be to attach the stave to a carrier board that has a straight edge.  Have the stave extend over the edge nearest the blade by the amount you want to cut off and have the other edge of the carrier board run against the fence on you table saw. you should be able to get a flat straight cut and still be safe.
Swimbill

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »
Pushing by hand would be dangerous, I would use a jointer if you have access to one.  If not my second option would be to attach the stave to a carrier board that has a straight edge.  Have the stave extend over the edge nearest the blade by the amount you want to cut off and have the other edge of the carrier board run against the fence on you table saw. you should be able to get a flat straight cut and still be safe.
Swimbill

That is what I have been thinking about trying. Still thinking on how best to secure the stave onto the board so I have clearance and no movement.

Thanks for the comments!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 01:24:53 pm »
Id cut the length in half. Then build a dog that I can nail the billet to and feed it through my saw safely and dead straight. Then splice them back together and back them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:25:52 pm »
On a wedge split stave and using a common table saw, what is the best way to get a flat and even cut down the back??? I want to put a hickory or bamboo backing on it and need it flat. Just pushing the stave through by hand can and certainly will cause some uneven cuts.

It has to be smooth with no sudden changes but it doesn't have to be flat like a billiard table. Backings are thin enough to follow some undulations(nice word that). Like Pat said, a rasp will get you there. When you glue it together wrap it tightly with rubber strips. It will conform.