Author Topic: Very thinn rings on Osage stave. Finished Bow!! Sinew Backing, retillered!  (Read 14538 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: Very thinn rings on Osage stave. (new pict.)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2016, 02:10:32 am »
I wouldnt back it, that knot would look awesome. I don't see any reason to not get a bow out of that as long as you do your part  8)
I like osage

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2016, 01:37:53 pm »
  I rare'ly chase a ring I use the ring under the sapwood no matter how thin the rings are.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2016, 01:59:43 pm »
just don't flatten the knot,, whatever you decide,,

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 02:57:37 pm »
A stave of any other wood with this quality I would return to the sender, but not osage. I recently made a shorty of such a thin- ringed osage with 49" in length, 49lbs / 23", with its heavily recurves it is a killer of a bow. No backing.
Go with it!
Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline akila

Re: Very thinn rings on Osage stave. Finished Bow!! (new pict.)
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 09:25:52 am »
Hi all, i finaly managed to finish the bow today..it was realy a long journey with this one.....i had to adapt along the way and to either accept having  a decent bow, or having nothing. With one limb i had alot of dificulties..somehow the grain is weacker, and becose of those long craks that i had to eliminate, the width of the limb was not suficient for such a poor ratio betwen the early and the late wood, and it took some set..i dont remeber exactly how much reflexx the stave had at the beggining...it was aniway quite alot..maybe 4'' or so, and now what is left is somewhere arround 2''. It was also quite dificult to have the string run in the  midle of the handle..its not perfect on the midle, but for a right handed shooter, its just perfect..im a lefty, and for me the string is a little bit to much to the left..aniway, the gripp is quite narrow, and whenn im shooting corectly, the bow shoots realy clean. If im doing funny things, the bow shows me imediatly. The limmbs have also a funy shape...you will see this in the pictures. The numers are..
65'' long NTN.
37-38lbs @28''.
Total mass...1,25 pound.
It is havyer as the first Osage bow that i'v posted here a couple of weeks ago..that one was a little under 1pound.
Finish with wax..
Buffalo Horn Overlays.

The full draw picture looks a bit funny..the bow dosent sit to wel on that tiller tree, becose of the shape of the handle. In the hand it looks better i think..or at least this is how it seams in the mirror :))).
 What can i say, at the end of this, is that, a stave with thinn rings, will definitely make a beautiful gripp :))..the feathering, is just beautiful in the handle. The Bow needs to be designed a little bit longer, and wider..not to much, but a little bit for sure. I think i was really on the edge with 65'' NTN.
I'm curiose what the time will tell aboute this bow..we will see..today, i'v managed to shoot 120 arrows, and we will see. I dont know, if i got lucky with this one, but it worked without  having the bow backed with rawhide, or something similar..i honestly have no ideea. Time will tell i quess.
THank you for helping me along  my way, and i hope you will enjoy the pict.
Best regards, Ciprian.                                                                                       
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:51:01 am by akila »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 09:58:11 am »
That's what I call lemonade from lemons right there!   8)  Well done. Relatively flat unbraced profile, beautiful braced profile and very nice full draw. Congratulations!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2016, 11:58:11 am »
yes congrats,, beautiful,,  :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 12:21:49 pm »
Nice work, that's reassured me about my thin ring stave :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »
Very nice! Congratulations. You did very well. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »
That looks great!

Offline Emmet

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »
Real nice, I like it!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
Exceptional work around that knot 8) 8) 8) Really nice bow from some challenging wood...
                                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2016, 08:58:18 pm »
Man you really turned out a nice one from that stave. You must really know what you were doing? Great job!

Offline okie64

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2016, 10:32:50 pm »
That turned out great buddy! Beautiful grip.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2016, 11:45:37 pm »
Now that's a sweet bow right there! I really like the plain self bows without all of the wraps and skins and such. For some reason I just can't make on without the frills. Man that thin ring stuff sure makes a beautiful set of fades dosent it?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!