Author Topic: Vine Maple Bow for Art 55#@28"  (Read 10945 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Vine Maple Bow for Art 55#@28"
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 10:20:41 pm »
Wow pure eye candy Weylin. Nice attention to detail and very cool profiles

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 12:03:29 am »
Wow Weylin, after being away from this site for about a year now the first thing I see is this!  I'm hooked again!  Can't wait to see your next one.  Congrats to Art!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 10:37:57 am »
Very nice!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Will B

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »
That bow is Amazing!  Love the snakeskins and the stain on the belly. Excellent job!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 01:04:28 am »
A perfect mix of artistry and technical prowess. That bow is amazing Weylin. Your skills have advanced far from when I first met you.
Gordon

Offline IsaacC

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »
Wow. Stunning.

I like the straightness of the limbs at the ends as a result of the reflex. When reflex is in play, how can you tell that the bow is evenly stressed along that section?

Again, wonderful!

Thanks,
Isaac C.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »
Thanks, again for the feedback!  :D

You all can look ,but she's mine all mine!!!!😉  It looks phenomenal Weylin and I truly can't wait to have her in my hands again. Thank you for all the work you put into it and all the kind words. Long ago I realized that your artistry and eye for detail was far superior to any I could ever hope to have  and all though I luck into some deceased breeder snakes and odd animal parts from my trapper buddies I'd never be able to honor them the way you could. Thank you from the depths of my being for building me such a fine weapon.

I'm really pleased that you like it. Can't wait to hand it over. It's great to work hard to do something I enjoy for someone who will appreciate it. Can't ask for more than that.

Gorgeous bow.  And now that you're warmed up, I need you to work some similar magic with my 2 yew sticks that are headed your way. 

I'll be looking for them. We'll see what I can do. It's fun giving a bow a new lease on life.

A perfect mix of artistry and technical prowess. That bow is amazing Weylin. Your skills have advanced far from when I first met you.

Thanks, Gordon. due in no small part to you.  ;)

Wow. Stunning.

I like the straightness of the limbs at the ends as a result of the reflex. When reflex is in play, how can you tell that the bow is evenly stressed along that section?

Again, wonderful!

Thanks,
Isaac C.

I have a few methods that I used. First and foremost, feeling the thickness taper with my fingers is key. If the thickness tapers properly and smoothly you're going to have a smooth bend. I ran my fingers up and down that bow many, many times.

Another little trick that I use helped a bit. I use a yard stick to draw straight lines down the side of the limb. If I have to make a couple on a limb because it's not a straight shot it's still ok as long as I have some long sections of straight lines to work with. Then when I brace the bow I can take a ruler and hold it up to the line to see how much the once straight line is deflected (I usually check 6" sections) I can then compare all the sections of the limb to ensure they have the appropriate amount of deflection. If one section of line is mostly straight I know I have a stiff spot, if another section is very deflected then I know I have the start of a hinge.

related to the line technique is putting the bow on the tillering tree and as I pull a little I hold the edge of my scraper up to the belly of the bow and watch the gap change as I work the bow. I can make sure each area is doing it's share of work.

The rest is by eye ball and intuition. it's a pain in the ass to tiller a bow with a lot of character and you're constantly second guessing yourself. Your eye is telling you that the full draw profile is wretched and you have to override that with all the other evidence you collected that tells you its bending evenly.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 03:05:30 am »
Extra fine bow, Weylin. Aweful work in every aspect. And I like your photo shooting!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 08:22:48 am »
Beautiful stunning bow Weylin in all respects.I'm sure he'll cherish it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed