Author Topic: heat straightening tools  (Read 6086 times)

Offline loon

Re: heat straightening tools
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:57 pm »
Ah, that one looks nice, I could cut most of the groove with my rasp.. thanks Pat

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »
Hey Pat, that block to the far right, is that for putting grooves in the shafts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 06:04:00 pm »
Aaron, yes. It has a drywall screw with its point ground to a blade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 09:22:49 pm »
Made a tool out of a fallen branch. The wood seems okay but, the branch being old and dead, it's full of cracks and makes a creaking noise when I use it.

made most of the "main" groove with a rasp, then the diagonal grooves with a knife.

When I try to straighten a cane at the node, it just makes a kink next to the node... and the canes cool down too quick for my liking.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:01:58 pm by loon »

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:26 pm »
Made a tool out of a fallen branch. The wood seems okay but, the branch being old and dead, it's full of cracks and makes a creaking noise when I use it.

made most of the "main" groove with a rasp, then the diagonal grooves with a knife.

When I try to straighten a cane at the node, it just makes a kink next to the node... and the canes cool down too quick for my liking.

Are you getting the kink using this particular tool? If so you should make the diagonal grooves longer and smooth like baby's bum. Use a rat tail file if you got one. The noises are probably just the cane creaking against the tool. You shouldn't have to really crank on it, just mild little squeezes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 11:12:04 pm »
 I only use a straightener on drastic bends. Otherwise I use my hands, with and without heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 01:07:18 am »
I only use a straightener on drastic bends. Otherwise I use my hands, with and without heat.
Yeah, it was a pretty extreme bend

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 02:37:00 pm »
Mine is the "hoop" kind. it was made from a split off of a chunk of pine firewood. It was the wood surrounding a knothole. By not severing the grain in any way it is pretty tough for pine. I typically slide it along the shaft rather quickly with steady medium pressure. Doing it this way I generate my own heat. The inner ring of my tool is blackened with singe marks. It being pine, will start to singe before the arrow wood. When I smell burn pine I know to stop.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 04:41:18 am »
These are what I use.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good