Author Topic: Another tirade about the unethical crowd  (Read 9437 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Another tirade about the unethical crowd
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:46:52 pm »
Turkey season opened this Saturday morning.  I didn't go out.  I had gone out to scout on Thursday morning, good old One-two-eight Ridge. The ridge is named for the morning I counted 128 hens, jakes, and gobblers come off an extensive roost tree studded finger draw back when we had been blessed with 6 great hatch years in a row.

Shortest access is right off the highway, but requires serious effort to climb an incredibly steep hillside and pass RIGHT under the roost trees. Another alternative access route actually requires a couple of short reaches of technical rock climbing with finger and toe holds in crumbly limestone/sandstone matrix (fun, right? And in the dark - bonus points for style).  But scouting is easy, just drive up, park on the edge of the right off way in the dark and roll down the windows to listen. 

I was sitting in the dark, nursing a cup of strong black coffee and nibbling the crispy edges of a still hot apple fritter.  A few early commuters driving into Rapid City for work passed by in the dark, their headlights ruining my night vision.  One had just passed when their brakelights lit and tires squealed. His backup lights came on and he came back up the road in reverse and high speed.  The guy parked across the road and came piling out of his pickup obviously agitated.  He didn't even look for traffic as he came charging across the road shouting and shaking his fist. 

He said someone had already sneaked up in the dark a week ago and had spotlighted the birds, shooting a bunch of hens and gobblers out of the roost trees, leaving them to lay on the ground.  I was still trying to wrap my head around his angry approach and the words out of his mouth when he then said he recognized me.  He asked if he was right, was I the guy that hunted up there with the old fashioned gun and the funny clothes.  I admitted that I was known for wandering around up there in 1760's fashion and a flintlock.  He said he owned the land directly north and that he had seen me up there many times and that he'd noticed I never so much as took aim toward the private land, or shot towards his house.  The deer were so often in the meadow between the ridgeline and his house. I never considered that an ethical shot, even if it would have been legal to shoot within that distance of occupied buildings.

He calmed down some and I offered to get him in touch with the game warden in the area.  He allowed that he had spoken with one and mentioned the name of the officer I had in mind.  I told him that I had called the same man several years earlier when I had found baited treestands all over the ridge.  The man said he had spoken with the warden during the ensuing investigation, offering help and even encouraging him to use his gazebo to sit and watch the treestands in comfort if that would have helped. He and I shook hands and I apologized for the lack of ethics or morality in the hunting community, he apologized for jumping me like he had. 

Days later, I am getting past the aggravation to my personal hunting plans and I have moved onto several bigger questions:
1) Is it just me?  Is it something about how I choose land to hunt that seems to coincide with poachers, cheats, and the ethically retarded?
2) If it is not just me, is this a local issue? South Dakota is very much "old west" mindset and there is a growing resentment to the rule of law since it is perceived as coming from "gub'ment" when in reality, we the people are the government and game laws protect OUR OWN resource and without which, we'd have NO GAME FOR ANYONE.
3) If it is not just a local thing, is there much effort in addressing this in the true conservationist movement?  And by true conservationist, I mean those on the front lines, putting money and sweat equity where their mouths are.  Namely, the publications of NWTF, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, Mule Deer Foundation, Boone and Crocket, Pope and Young, Izaak Walton League, Trout Unlimited, Bass Masters, Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, National Wildlife Federation, and yes - Primitive Archer, etc, etc, etc. 

Can I ask everyone to go to the magazines they get and scan the last three months issues for articles about ethics?  I want just a rough poll from you, just post how many magazines you receive and how many instances in the last three issues there was an article or editorial pushing ethics.  I admit this is anything but an exhaustive, nor even scientific in it's approach, but it's an itch I feel like scratching. I feel our community here is a bit more ethical than the run of the mill simply because we have all made a conscious effort to lean into a craft that has anything but instant gratification.  And those that then take these hard won tools out to the field have now again chosen the most difficult route. 

For example, I receive two publications.  Both have had articles/editorials in the last three issues, so they would be reported as 2 for 2. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Chief RID

Re: Another tirade about the unethical crowd
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:15:19 pm »
Sounds like some very grievous offences going on there. I bet it boils down to one individual outlaw. I would think it would be a very pet project by LE if it was occurring here.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:08:57 pm »
It's not just you JW.  There is an epidemic of criminal behavior today.  As the moral fiber of our nation erodes, we are forced to encounter individuals who are never held accountable.  They graduate from school without having literacy, they get a trophy regardless of their athleticism, they admire the gangster and hate the cop, the tv raised them, and they are completely self-centered.  No one calls bullshit for fear of being the next viral video or at the very least, being hauled into civil court.  It is everywhere - even the woods.  We have got to do a better job of raising our kids, supporting the rule of law, and standing up for what is right.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:27:18 am »
I agree totally with Howard. JW - My magazines are 5 for 5 on the last few issues. Primitive Archer, Fur-Fish-Game, Traditional BowHunter and Muzzleloader & Woods-N-Water (Local Michigan Paper). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:30:07 am »
I know a little off the subject but a good example of the system, I caught a guy Friday evening coming from my barn with 6 of my new tree stands, I couldn't get him stopped but soon figured out who it was, I called the local sheriff's department, when the officer arrived he knew the guy, said he arrested him about once a month. Long story but he found him, no stands and wouldn't tell him where they went, he arrested him for grand larceny [over 1,000.00] stolen and also he had meth amphetamine in his possession. Well that was Friday at about 4pm , he was out by Saturday at noon. Go figure. I feel you pain JW but it's everywhere, Ideal with that stuff all the time.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:53:57 am »
I grew up in a climber stand and thought no one used anything else because they'll just be stolen. Even now I hunt a 60acre parcel surrounded by a couple hundred acres all leased by two guys. They have stands with shooting lanes cut into the property I hunt on borderline trees. I was always taught to not hunt borderlines in case a big one were to walk by on the other side, avoid that temptation.. And I still don't use anything but climbers or ground. Surprising to me is they practice excellent QDM and then are bullies as well as liars in their interactions with me.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 10:26:23 am »
I see it all too often with the "Hunters" I know. Far more are unethical scumbags than are real hunters. It's tough to watch young family members who learn from their killing machine parents. It is called hunting for a reason. it is the hunt that interests me more than the killing. The laws need to be used to their full extent. There is no excuse to unnecessarily kill animals in or out of season. There is no excuse of "I didn't know". It is our responsibility as hunters and keepers of these wild place to educate, and notify the authorities when we see things like this happen. 
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 10:58:09 am »
Almost makes one nostalgic for the days when you were executed for poaching the kings deer.

Feudalism
It's your Count that votes!

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 11:18:49 am »
Pappy. With all the priors it would seem he would go away this time for a while. I am not surprised he was out the next day. Sorry for your trouble.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:22:56 pm »
I agree totally with Howard. JW - My magazines are 5 for 5 on the last few issues. Primitive Archer, Fur-Fish-Game, Traditional BowHunter and Muzzleloader & Woods-N-Water (Local Michigan Paper). Bob

Thanks, man.  With your count and mine, we are at 7/7. 

JacksonCash

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
I'm 1/1 - don't have many subscriptions.

I'd like to say that the amount of poaching is unique to our culture for some reason or another, but really, people will take the easy way when ever they can. Prevelance today is probably due to increased populations using accessable areas. There's no profit going out to the boonies to poach- they go where its easier and quicker. Unfortunately areas that used to be more remote are becomming readily accessible.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 03:36:09 pm »
Maybe you are going to have to quit hunting all of those easy to get to places and find some out of the way challenging places to hunt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JacksonCash

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »
I realize my statement might not apply to everyone's situation, like any opinion it's got it's flaws.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 03:56:03 pm »
Outlaw ATV's! They wouldn't go into the deep woods then. It would make camping a lot quieter too.

That should raise a few hackles >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 08:39:14 pm »
Maybe you are going to have to quit hunting all of those easy to get to places and find some out of the way challenging places to hunt.

The Black Hills are riddled with roads, logging trails, fire trails, unmapped and unauthorized trails and two tracks like mad.  Some are seasonally closed with gates, but most are marked with these fiberglass flappy posts and a number system and there is a complicated motor vehicle travel plan that 99% of the people ignore.  There really is nowhere that you can't get a vehicle.  I, personally, would like to use low powered IED's to add a degree of surprise to some of these clowns. 

My offroad vehicles are made by Redwing Shoes.