Author Topic: Another tirade about the unethical crowd  (Read 9424 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Another tirade about the unethical crowd
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 08:39:43 pm »
I'm 1/1 - don't have many subscriptions.

8/8
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 10:35:08 pm »
The only hunting-related magazine I get is PA, so 1/1.  Yeah, people can act in pretty terrible ways when they think no one is looking. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:15:29 pm »
Florida has outlawed All motorcycles and ATV's in MNGT Area's and State and National Forest unless they are road legal.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JacksonCash

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 08:50:41 am »
There really is nowhere that you can't get a vehicle.

I do suppose my being from the U.P. in Michigan colors my views slightly- there's a lot of areas you can't get a vehicle, at least not easily. Trees and swamp.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:27 am »
I, personally, would like to use low powered IED's to add a degree of surprise to some of these clowns. 

Hmm, I do think they make paint based claymore mines for the paintball crowd....

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »
I, personally, would like to use low powered IED's to add a degree of surprise to some of these clowns. 

Hmm, I do think they make paint based claymore mines for the paintball crowd....

Oh1 I really like that idea. With a game camera so you could see the look on their faces ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »

Think they could add some skunk extract in those paintballs???  I always thought a lowdown skunk should smell like a lowdown skunk!

Oh1 I really like that idea. With a game camera so you could see the look on their faces ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 11:14:27 pm »
I get the Missouri conservationist, north American hunter and American beagler. I sometimes buy traditional archer and the back woodsman magazines. I have pretty much read every one I have cover to cover. With the exception of  the back woodsman even one I have read has something on ethics in every issue. Even if it's just a story about a hunt or even a fishing trip. The back woodsman is hit and miss but it's not quite a hunting mag either. So that would be 5 if you count the back woodsman.

On a different note,  please read the whole thing.
Several years ago I had two separate instances one in deer season on in turkey season.
I was hunting private land,  our family farm,  I seen a big doe while walking out of the woods at the end of the day. I still had about 45min of legal shooting time left. I was able to slip into a position to get a clean shot down hill at about 50 yards. I had a perfect broad side shot and a good rest. I tripped the trigger on my 30-30 and she immediately hit the ground. She was kicking a little,  but I wanted to get to her and get her gutted out before it started to get too dark. So I started down the hill,  about 10 yards in I heard something running,  I looked towards where my deer was and see her standing about 20 yards down towards the creek. So I took a knee aimed and fired now she was down for sure. I was taught that when you do get a chance to shoot an animal you make sure it dies quickly and as humanely as possible. I continued down the hill towards the new position where my deer was at. Then I ran into the problem. I had killed 2 doe, in my pocket I had only one doe tag. I knew  I was going to have to call the conversation agent asap. I was also taught to never kill something just to kill it and leave it lay. So I decided to field dress both deer and put my only tag on the first one I shot. By this time my 2 uncles, an aunt my dad, grandpa and my brother had made their way to where I was. I was only about 150 yards from the house. I told them all what had happened and they helped me get them out of the holler. Everyone offered to just put one of their tags on the other one. At first, I was so nervous about it that I agreed. At that time in Missouri you still had to take your kill to the check in station. So we loaded them in the truck and stopped by the house to grab a sandwich and head into the check in. Grandpa put his doe tag on the other deer. Then rubbed some blood on him and said he was ready to go. I knew he had to lie to the warden to tag the deer. We made it about half way to town and I told grandpa to stop the truck and that I was going to tell them what happened and just deal with the situation. He argued just a little then pulled over. I took his transportation tag off. When we got to the check in there was no line. I was about to puke. I told the officer the whole story I told you all. His reply was,  you couldn't make up a story like that if you tried. I told him I would pay whatever fine and understood that he could confiscate my deer and more. He said,  son things happen when you're excited, as he clipped the check in tag on both deer. Then wrote a note for my grandpa so he could still use his transportation tag. Then stuck his hand out and said,  that was one of the most ethical things he had ever heard or seen. Told me to go buy another tag and have a good season.
With the way our laws are here I always but 3 tags,  an any deer and two bonus tags (anterless only) and I never go out without two tags in my pocket.

I'll make this one short. While spring turkey hunting on public land a managed to shoot my strutting tom and some 20 yards behind him was a hen I didn't see. Apparently my shotgun holds a good enough pattern to kill that hen. Which is a huge no no in the spring. I had a bag phone in my truck so I called the warden and told him what happened. He said believe it or not it's not that uncommon. He drove out to the parking lot at the public land and put a tag on the hen and checked in my tom. He told me to be careful and call him if something like that ever happened again. I had another tom tag and opted to end my season with the tag still in my pocket.

An accident does happen from time to time. But it doesn't excuse poaching and the #&@$% idiots that say,  I shot a big buck with a 22 rifle in the headlights of my truck. It was an ethical kill I shot him in the head. The rest of what I want to say can't be posted. Thanks

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 05:32:48 pm »
People are becoming lazier and more selfish plain and simple. They want what they want and they want it as quick and easy as possible. This leads to a lack of appreciation followed by respect in pretty much all aspects of life. Not many people work hard now a days and NO ONE works as hard as their Grandfather's generation did. The current populace is only concerned with themselves and the things they hold dear, for the most part anyway, just look at the way people drive and it's pretty clear. 

We've also become increasingly over legislated to the point where breaking some laws is common place and even acceptable. This leads to a certain comfort level with not following the rules and more and more laws get adding to the list of acceptable rules to break. It's a paradoxical relationship. The more laws you make the more comfortable people become with breaking the law. With regard to poaching, I say pull their gun ownership rights and right to vote  instead of hunting privileges and fines. They obviously don't care about license suspensions if they are poaching in the first place. That way if they get caught with a gun, they do some long term federal prison time.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:13 pm »
I have a friend who was with someone that poached a deer, he (My Friend) was stripped of his hunting privileges for 10 years, and as a felon, can not own a firearm, nor vote. In the end these people just don't care, one way or the other.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 07:34:30 pm »
Patrick I really like you.

I did the same thing (killed a spike with my flintlock I thought was a doe) and turned myself in at the checking station. The game warden said no one had ever done such a thing (turned themselves in) so he wrote me a warning ticket because of my honesty and let me keep the deer as well.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 08:19:09 pm »
I know Multiple occasions that being honest paid off with me. Especially with speeding tickets when I saw them and just pulled over. I have a lot of friends in Law Enforcement and it makes it real easy for them when you are honest when you know you are wrong.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 12:03:25 am »
Thanks Eric,  I appreciate it bud! I'm glad the warden went easy on ya.
On another note,  even though telling the truth is not the most popular thing to do. It's sure easier than eventually telling the truth.
I know this first hand,  and I would say that the majority of the guys on here would agree.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!