Author Topic: Indian-Style Quiver User's.  (Read 16697 times)

Offline Cromm

Indian-Style Quiver User's.
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:33:14 pm »
Hi, If you use a Indian style quiver (like the one from T.B.B.1) do you have it on your left side or right side? I'm right handed so do i have the quiver on my left same as my bow? I will be making one out of hair on deer skin. What do you do? Thanks for your time. 
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline sonny

Re: Indian-Style Quiver User's.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:41:29 pm »
I'm finishing up an otter hide quiver similar to that style and plan on wearing it on the right.
I tried using it placed to the left but didn't feel quite right to me....

my suggestion is that you try both ways and use it whichever way works for you.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:48:42 pm »
Hey, Cromm, are you getting started with your quiver now?
I'm pretty sure the Indians on the great plains wore it on the left side. I've used both, and I don't think it matters much.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:09:29 pm »
Hi again, yes I'm about to start cutting it out today, but because it has hair on the skin i can only wear it one way or the other because it gets all turned around, so i was seeing what everyone else wears theirs, before i start sewing the bits together. How you doing?
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:06:06 pm »
Hey I use a plains style quiver also and I am right handed and I wear it on the right side. When I am walking through the brush I can drop right hand down and cover any exposed fletches or direct the quiver through tight spots  all the while maintaining bow in left hand, Can also withdraw an arrow out of it without having to hold bow out at arms length. Its different when sitting on horse back though trying to direct horse with reins  ect
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 11:23:29 pm »

as kayakfisher says: walking through the bush to your right (when right handed) or sitting on horseback to your left.
i have on with foxfur and buckskin with a stick and that is great to carry it through bush.
frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:12 pm »
nice quiver Medicinewhl  one of these days when I  Get enough fur going to make one out of fur
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:57:06 am »
I really like plains style quivers.  I feel most comfortable having the quiver on my left.  When moving fast, or in brush I can move my bow hand to the top of the quiver and hold both bow and quiver.  Just what feels best to me.  If your quiver has droppers on the end of the strap or a pouch added you are right to pick left or right before you assemble the quiver.
Ron

"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:12:35 am »
i design mine so i can wear them on both sides.  i used to wear mine on the left for the most part but once in a while i feel like wearing it on the right.  here some examples of simple designs that can be worn on both sides.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 10:42:29 am »
awesome quivers guys. i  have come to like this style. it can be used as plains or back. i carry it over my left shoulder and remove the arra from the base. its excellent for stalking. most of the time i dont use a quiver though and just do one on the bow two in the hand

Dustybaer

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
jamie, i like those side-stalkers too  ;D  i've been experimenting with different designs but haven't found the right one yet.  i was pleasantly surprised by the one i made for the community bow project (my first one of that kind)  it was pleasant to wear and easy to get the arrow out without a lot of motion.  i'll have to make one for myself one day  ;D

Offline benjamin

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 07:40:11 pm »
Jamie, That looks like what I want to make for my next project. Could you post some specks? Does it completely cover the fletching or do they sick out of the top? Any numbers or measurments would be great.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »
Here's what a Mr. Laubin has to say on the subject:

"The English tradition is to wear the quiver over the right shoulder, and this is the tradition that modern archers carry on to this day. To me it is a clumsy arrangement, especially with the long arrows most people prefer. Plains quivers, carried over the left shoulder, could be quickly pulled around to the front so that the arrows either projected under the left arm, or they were pulled around still farther so that the quiver sling hung on the back of the neck and the arrows were at the waist with their nocks on the right-hand side, where they could be quickly reached while riding. Either way is far more convenient than the English method." (Laubin, Reginald. American Indian Archery. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980. p. 127)
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

jamie

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 12:48:31 pm »
just saw the replies. fletchings stick out of the top on this one. but could easily be made so that they are covered. theres no real specs just make it so you can put the arras in and take em out with ease

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:58 pm »
I shoot two styles of quiver,  my plains style quiver I wear the quiver on the right side while stalking and in the left while riding a horse.  my back quiver  I wear high on my back so i can easily draw and shoot arrows rapidly.... but for stalking it is too noisy to draw and shoot from so i use the plains style quiver .... Mike 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston