Author Topic: New member/question  (Read 4476 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: New member/question
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:57 am »
Hickory or white oak stave - very forgiving materials...  Osage is best, but chasing rings is a learned skill that takes some time.  Picking out a good red oak board was tough for me, when I was making my first ones.  Initial success in making a shooting, functioning bow should be your goal right now.  Staves were easier for me and  Jawge's site got me started and will be a good resource for you.  I don't remember ever breaking a hickory or white oak stave bow.  If you mess up, it may end up with lots of set, but I doubt it would break. Lots of good advice above.  Just get started and have fun with it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
   welcome PA

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline H.P.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »
thanks for all the responses and I'll shoot you a PM Thunder.  I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for Osage closer to my river property that's a little further north of Corpus Christi.  No luck yet.  However, there's a couple of old timers near my place that I haven't had a chance to pick their brains just yet.  They told me where all the good fishing spots were, so they might be able to tell me where to find some Osage growing as well.  Ya never know.    H
If I'm not pulling on one string, I'm thumping on 4.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 05:22:04 pm »
White elm is also. A great starter wood.never tried any other of the elms.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.