Author Topic: Cabin and land OR more land  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Zuma

Re: Cabin and land OR more land
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »

I'd opt for the second site, more land and forest abutting, better access, and neighbors can be right handy to have in most cases. In any case spend a bit of time getting the feel of the place and how long it will take to get things ship-shape.

I'd take this option also. Let's say you don't like it after you improve it or find something better, This property would be easier to sell in the future IMO.
All the best Zuma
Oh yeah,  probablely more attractive to a future bride >:D
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 01:53:09 pm »
Are the cabins on the 45ac salvageable? If so or if you can afford to build a new cabin(cabin #2 my preference) I think I'd go for that one.  Eastern Washington is probably way sunnier than Western Washington so the cabin with the solar power might not be bad. At least you won't be paying the power company.
 You might also check with the Feds to see if they will give you a right or way to the cabin that is surrounded by NF. If they will, like Mullet said that's a lot of useful game lands you won't have to buy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:47 pm »
Option 2 just started winning. I finally got to see the real grid location to the land, it's on the edge of the NF and timberland and a county road touches a corner. A plowed county road. A good ways off from where I thought but the real estate company said whoever entered it messed up the grids. So 40 acres, easy access year round, not too many neighbors but there are some, water, lots of timber, a few year old clear cut to the north(awesome hunting) 100% deer, turkey, bear, moose and rumored elk. No known cabins but I seem to find a new cabin every time I go driving down a backroad. Most all of them are missing some logs or roofs are caved in. Found a cool 1800s wood stove in one day before yesterday! Going to check it out this week and hike all over it
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 06:48:00 pm »
Why don't you buy two of them and sell me one when I retire...they all sound good, but I kind of like Option 2 as well.  I hope you are happy with whichever one you pick!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 06:59:51 pm »
Yea, that sounds good. I just closed on 2 acres in SC, and out the back door is the NF, and Hillbilly's 6 acres on the way. I have county water and electricity with a paved road.

Whichever one you decide on, in the end, it is all yours.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »
Yea, that sounds good. I just closed on 2 acres in SC, and out the back door is the NF, and Hillbilly's 6 acres on the way. I have county water and electricity with a paved road.

Lol, can't wait till you close on the NY property near Loin Cloth. >:D
You are movin on Up. lol
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »
Sorry, buddy, I couldn't come between you two.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 09:25:11 pm »
I'd be happy as a pig in Sh!t with any of them. Also, you could make 40k in 3 months??? I know where I'm moving if it ever goes south with me and my wife.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 11:01:19 am »
Also have you looked into prefab cabins? They're pretty nice these days and can be had for cheap...

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 01:01:42 pm »
YOu can live off of solar. My in laws cabin has two small panels, and 6, 6 volts and you can run off of solar, unless you want to run a toaster, or hair dryer, then you have to start the Genny. But, his is on a wireless fob, so you click a button to start it, and click it again to turn it off. That is for a 700ish square foot cabin, with 2 tv's. You can even vacuum and not kill the charge.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 12:40:32 am »
I'd need electricity for my freezer man! Lotsa animals to fill it. So that'd be my only thing. Power my freezer 24/7. Other then that I don't need it for much. I drove the 40 acre chunk today, amazing views and I found plenty of elk, moose, and deer sign. It is a long 5 mile drive up that bumpy road but I feel it'd be worth it. I'm gonna keep going up and walking it till I'm sure it's where I want. The road on the property needs work though, washed out pretty bad. Also drove a old logging road that led me all the way into Canada from the back of the property. Picture is the top flat, "home site 2" according to the realtor. Seems to hold the water in this spot though. I'll see home site 1 on Thursday! Homesites are just the flat spots big enough for a house, power and phone lines are about a mile down the hill.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 12:04:23 pm »
My in-laws freezer is propane. works like a charm!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 01:20:16 pm »
My mother-in-law used to have a gas frig. All the neighbors would bring their food over when the power went out.
 Check into gas powered appliances. They are a lot better today than they used to be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 01:30:56 pm »
My mother-in-law used to have a gas frig. All the neighbors would bring their food over when the power went out.
 Check into gas powered appliances. They are a lot better today than they used to be.

But very very expensive. My father in laws fridge is a model from the 50's or 60's, its a Serval.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 01:16:42 pm »
dude, build a cob house!  It would be awesome out in the woods like that.  You may have all the material you need right there on the property.  Just look into it for me :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!