Author Topic: Joe Gibbs testing an Adam Karpowicz horn bow  (Read 13432 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: Joe Gibbs testing an Adam Karpowicz horn bow
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 11:08:57 pm »
I don't know anything about hornbows, very interested in trying to make one. I wonder if a horn bow can be left strung a lot longer than a wood self bow without damaging the belly or causing string follow?
I like osage

Offline loon

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 01:13:00 am »
I don't know anything about hornbows, very interested in trying to make one. I wonder if a horn bow can be left strung a lot longer than a wood self bow without damaging the belly or causing string follow?
They take temporary string follow with use, noticeable just after unstringing. But then they slowly pull into reflex again.
Probably don't wanna leave it strung too long, could cause set in the core. Few days is fine probably. cmiiw
In his tests Adam kept a very heavy hornbow strung for weeks... http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2486

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 02:45:26 am »
The core isn't feeling compression/tension. You casn leave them strung for a long time and the set wouldn't be permanent - it can be reverse by gentle heating. Also there is little loss of performance when left strung a long time unlike wooden bows.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:32 am »
Now that's a bow!!!!! referring to loon's atarn.net reference of Adam K's bow.
Pretty much +1 of what Mike typed about string follow Joec123able just with observing the little that I've experienced with it.I think it's in the TBB 1 [design & performance chapter]book but Tim Baker explains exactly what and where things go on with the working surface of bows.Percentage of thickness to percentage of work it does etc.It holds true.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed