Author Topic: Anybody want to saw ash lumber?  (Read 1998 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Anybody want to saw ash lumber?
« on: May 11, 2016, 08:51:06 pm »
I don't know if any of you guys have portable sawmills but it's so sad to see all these beautiful Ash trees all dead and most are going to go to waste. I myself have hundreds of them tall straight and still solid but I'm never going to be able to harvest all of them. Many more people in the same situation I'm sure you could get most for free might even find some people willing to pay for removing them. You would have to check on regulations for moving it to your locale and I wouldn't want you to take bark or cambium you don't want these bores but the wood is as nice as oak. The area I'm talking about is the Thumb of Michigan the Emerald Ash Bore was spread here by campers firewood
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Anybody want to saw ash lumber?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:52:26 am »
The local cities and Pennsylvania State parks etc are cutting any ash trees they can find. It such a shame to see.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:47:44 am »
Michigan has been all dead for years. I don't remember the last healthy white ash I ran across. Has to be 5-7 years ago. I've been from Munising to Drummond Island and Leland to Marshall. All dead and dying. Its sad.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 03:09:35 pm »
We are having that problem with oak out here, if they would have addressed the disease in the 80's it would be gone but the state screwed the pooch and the mighty oak is in serious jeopardy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:40 pm »
I cut a small ash tree yesterday just to have a couple of staves before they are all gone.  Every tree over 8" is ate up with borers around here. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:46:40 am »
Yikes that's scary for sure.Was at a tree planting seminar the other day and seen one of those darn emerald ash bore bugs in a jar.Irridescent green looking.About 3/8" long or so.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:01:50 pm »
Yea you know the strange thing is I've only seen a couple of the adults. Where I live we have mostly hardwoods, some woods are probably 80 percent ash. I'm actually kind of fortunate that I have a mix but I'm still probably 40 percent. Amazing how these bugs killed every ash.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise