Author Topic: College-style Primitive...Can it be done?  (Read 9821 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: College-style Primitive...Can it be done?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 11:58:35 pm »
good luck with your joruney in primitive and yes once you get the bug it stuck on you. ;D i know it happened for me. and this site is fantastic for all your needs and info. a load of great fellas on here.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 12:08:59 am »
Welcome aboard Andrea! Nice pictures. Can it be done? Sounds like your already well on your way ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Bishop

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 12:33:55 am »
Andrea
welcome aboard! But be warned, once you start you wont be able to stop. There are some folks on here who can make a bow with nothing but a stave and some sharp rocks, ahem...Jamie, so you should have plenty to work with from the resources mentioned. Good luck and dont be shy about asking questions.
Bishop

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 01:46:53 am »
Welcome to PA, Andrea. You're in good company. If you can swing it, take Walt up on his offer. Lots of knowledge in that camp.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:51:57 am »
First of all, where did you take your pictures?
Hyalite Canyon = MSU
The Bitterroots = UofM

Your most scare resource is time. With all the other resources you list, you can most certainly make a bow.

Your library might have The Traditional Bowers Bible (I) and between that and this forum, you're set.
Ubiquitous across the state is chokecerry, serviceberry, and hawthorn. All are good bow woods. Home Depot and Lowes will sell you a decent 1x6 board of red oak.  If the grains along the edge are all parallel you can make a decent bow.

Keep in touch.
OldBow (Don Berg)
Missoula
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 01:56:42 am »
Thanks for all the support, folks... it's good to know I have someplace to turn to when things get hairy. I'm actually in Bozeman, those pictures are from Hyalite Canyon (the big jagged mountain is Hyalite Peak).
I've been on top of Hyalite Peak!!  That gorgeous cabin on your way to the trailhead is Window Rock Station where I lived for 5 months scattered out over several years doing research on lodgepole pine.  You can rent the cabin from the Bozeman Ranger District.  Great Fun!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

PK

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:12:01 am »
Gosh Thats pretty scenery, These Guys and Gals, I know your there, are really smart.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:53:57 am by PK »

330bull

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 05:03:25 am »
Hi Andrea,

I'd recommend you not spend any money on eBay and let me send you some Vine Maple and Hazelnut staves for free.  All you have to do is pay for shipping.  If you like I can also rough them out with my bandsaw so all you need is a mean rasp and a pocket knife for final finishing.  Just send me a PM if you are interested.  I expect nothing in return except for Karma to pay a visit in the future.   ;)

Sound cool?

Joe

Ps.  Regarding tools.  For what it's worth I own a Vine Maple bow hand made by John Strunk with only a hatchet and a pocket knife.  It's 70# @ 26" and is the most efficient self bow I have ever shot.  So... you really don't need much.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22:15 am »
 Wecome Andrea, You've come to a great cummunity of generous people who are more then willing to help.  Enjoy the journey and ask all the questions you want. Just a fair warning,,,very few evry stop at just one bow. it can be very addicting

Right On Joe  ;) ;D ;D You are a good man.      Keenan

jamie

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:35 pm »
andrea bishop already beat me to my answer. you'd be surprised how little you need to build a bow. good luck to ya and ask as many questions as needed

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 02:50:50 pm »
Hey if a knucklehead like me in Shepherd Montana can build a bow then pretty much anyone can lol.  Lots of us around Montana if you get the urge to meet for coffee or hunting.....good people on this site who will not steer you wrong. Welcome to the fold Andrea and keep us all posted on your bowmaking endeavors/needs/wants/ etc......
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:54:57 pm by stiknstring »

Bishop

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 02:58:09 pm »
Jamie
i couldnt help bragging on ya a little bit.
Bishop

Offline Aries

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 06:19:27 pm »
Love the scenery, I am jealous, central oklahoma isn't to much for mountains lol.  As for your bow string, if your resourses  are limited you can make a quick easy endless stlye bowstring from the 70# artificial sinew sold from 3riversarchery.com,  you can buy a 900' for something like 7$. There is a limited amount of string stretch, which will cost you something like 5 fps, but i think the economics make up for it.  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:25 pm »
These are good people.  Welcome to te fire!  Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 11:11:18 pm »
     Andrea;
     congratulations, on finding P.A. .  Sounds like you are on your way to making a bow.  That was a trememdous offer that 330 bull made you.  Take him up on it.  Especially with the preforms.  Go aghead and make a few bows, and then start looking around for local wood.  You might try Cotton Wood, or Maple.  I don't know how much Maple you have in Bozeman, but you should have plenty of Cotton Wood.  As for points try using beef bone.  Pork bones, are too brittle.  Some people like to use rib bones, but I like to use leg bones.  Try the pet store. Or Elk, Deer, and Antelope too. Since you have a dremel, you can polish them up really nice.  They take a really nice polish, with a nice sheen.  I use a jewelers saw, but you can use a coping saw. If you have access to a grinder, that helps too.  Lots of bone dust.  If you have bones that are dark, or stained, just soak them in Hydrogen Peroxide, for a day or so.   Draw the style point you want on the bone, with a pencil, and then cut it out.  Then use a mill file to put the bevels on the edges, and to thin it down some.  I like to leave about a 3/4 inch or so stem at the back, and I thin it down about 1/8 of an inch or so, and leave about 1/16 of an inch on each side of the back of the head for the shaft to butt up against. Then you can taper the shaft down to size to make a smooth profile so there is less resistance on entering the target.  I use a triangular shape, and make it diamond shape in cross section.  I make the thickness of the back of the head about a little over 1/4 inch, and taper it down towards the point.
I hope this helps.  If you would like, I will make you one, and send it to you so you can see what I am talking about.  I would send you a picture, but I am not the most computer literate person. So my ability to send you a picture, is rather limited.
If you want one send me an e-mail with a po box, or wherever you want me to send it.  My e-mail is curly494@bellsouth,net
be sure to reference the bone arrowhead, so I don't delete the e-mail.  Good luck, and enjoy.

Stickbender