Author Topic: coy-wolves on PBS  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: coy-wolves on PBS
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »
Thanks Pat, I've watched some already but thought this new one would also be worth viewing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
Seen the show.You guys on the east coast have always had a native wolf thought to be extinct called the red wolf right?I'd like to hear some weights on these critters.We've got what we call coyotes here too.Some big males weigh well over 50 pounds.The hair on them is'nt as silky as the western coyotes which are actually smaller.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »
I think it's Wednesday night.   ;D  :-[
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 08:10:57 pm »
Ed, they are actually breeding Family groups on St. Vincent Island in Florida and sending them to SC.

We've seen some 'yotes down here that looked closer to being a German Shepperd than the scaggly, coyotes we normally see.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 09:46:13 pm »
Lol :laugh:
It's funny in some ways and is totally stupid in others.
There are obviously a whole bunch of idiots getting paid to
( tax money) (Who else could afford this nonsense.)
running around reintroducing any and all kinds of plants
and creatures just about any where they want.
I am totally delighted that here where I live it's open season
on coyote's with a bounty to boot. I hope someone reintroduces
a freakin Grizzly into their backyards.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 02:11:59 am »
Missed recording the show about the wolves, I'm sure it will be on again soon. Did catch the one about teotihuacan's lost kings. Pretty cool, they did a part about obsidian , flint napping etc. I found it interesting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 07:46:55 am »
I watched that one too, Mounter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 08:37:28 am »
The DNR has pulled some real zingers here in Iowa over the years introducing things into the country side.Flora and Fauna both.It's a whole other gripe thread to discuss.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 11:32:06 am »
The DNR didn't introduce the coy wolves, they were a natural selection. After most of the wolves were killed in the northeast the western coyotes moved east into the vacuum and mated with the remaining wolves producing coy wolves.

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 11:51:35 am »
Missed it, but then caught a rerun of it last night.  Unfortunately there is a lot of bad information given in that show.  I don't know why the narrator kept referring to eastern coyotes and coy wolves as if they are the same thing.  Any one  that watched the show no doubt noticed the wildlife biologists didn't make the same mistake.  There is one relatively small area of Canada where a subspecies of Canus lupus (gray wolves) has hybridized with coyotes to create a "coy wolf", but it is just one little pocket.  The eastern coyote, genetically, is just a coyote.  As coyotes moved out of the desert southwest they have both adapted (changed their behavior) and evolved (changed genetically) in order to deal with colder, wetter weather and larger prey,  but not so much as to become a new species.  Further, they did not need to breed with wolves to make these changes because, sharing a common ancestor, they already have "wolf genes", so to speak, it's just a matter of how the environment dictates those genes be expressed.  It's kind of like if you send 3 guys out to each live alone in the woods and give each one an axe.  If you check back in a few years, each will likely be living in a cabin type shelter of some kind because each needed to solve the same problem using the same tools. 

Meanwhile the influence of Canis niger (the red wolf) is unknown.  They readily hybridize with coyotes, and their population is very small.  So far no one has been able to sort out, genetically, how much of what is seen in red wolves is the original genes of the species versus what has been added in recent centuries by mixing with the highly expansive coyote population.  As it is, red wolves are nature's original "coy wolf", occupying the niche between coyotes and gray wolves.  Or to look at it another way, the eastern coyote is essentially a reinvention of the red wolf.

Keith

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 05:32:31 am »
The theory in SC about the coyotes that have exploded here was an introduction by fox hunters that brought them in across the big muddy. For what reason, I don't know. Anyway, they seem to be getting bigger at our place. When you see them, you know it is a yote but when you shoot them and get a good look they look different somehow. We do have some color phase going to black but we have not shot one of those yet. They are an apex predator in our area for sure.

Offline bow101

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 04:49:19 pm »
Coons, bears and squirrels cause more havoc than Wolves and Coys in an urban stetting anyway.   Dam coons were eating my cat food at one time.  >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell