Author Topic: brace height  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Blacktail

brace height
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:27:03 am »
i am working on a yew bow.and i measured 3 inches from the nock and tied a timber hitch for the first bracing.and then i measured from the back of the handle to the string and its 1 7/8. so,what do i need to do to get 3-4 brace height on the first bracing.maybe i should go back to long string tillering which is 10 inchs from the back of the handle area and take some more wood off.or is measuring 3 inches from the nock down not enough.just trying to learn to learn more about this.its the first i have gotten this far on bow making and seeing any bracing got me excited.thanks john

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: brace height
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:31:10 am »
How far did you get with the tillering on the Long String?? Never go to a Brace Height too early...you will do unnecessary Stress to the wood
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:34:36 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:39:27 am »
it was 17 inches.i hope thats not to far.its o.k. i have some more wood vm.thanks john

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:48:32 am »
I usually work mine on a long String(5-6 inches of slack) until I get it tillered to about 22-24 inches....then set it up with a String that is braced at about 4 inches....and start all over again.....but remember the main thing you need to do....is never go over your expected Draw Weight.....if you are shooting for a Bow that is 50 pounds at 26 inches....never go up to thatweight till you gt it to your draw weight....this way you never overstress the wood and give it a lot of unnecessary set....Hang in there ....there will be a lot more experienced people to chime in here soon!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:53:29 am »
Bigwood, You may have to re-tie your bowyers knot for a shorter string. You can make fine adjustments by twisting the string tight to shorten it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC