Author Topic: fancy fire wood or fixable?  (Read 7833 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: fancy fire wood or fixable?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 04:21:40 am »
Back it like Eddie said.

Sometimes plane "B" ends up being the best one..

Rich

DCM

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 11:00:53 am »
Backing makes sense, if for no other reason than it inspires tenacity in the bowyer.  Sometimes you need a good dose of "it ain't over till I says it's over" to get through some of the early, or more challenging, projects. 

But it's also important for a budding selfbowyer to aggressively seek source material.  Be resourceful, dilligent, creative and don't give up until you have a nice pile (5 or 10) pieces you can fall back upon for future projects.  If it's any guidance, being in the game 8 or 9 years and having slowed to 5 or 6 bows a year, I probably have enough wood products for 100 projects, and I'm not exaggerating.  This aspect of the game is nearly as fun as the building actually, at least for me.  Chances are there's sources for bow wood all around you.  A $20 bow saw, an axe maybe, hell even just a little hatchet, find yourself a site where they are clearing land for development in your area and, shazame, bow wood galore.  You gotta get that primitive man's point of view, tunnel vision, as if your next meal depended upon it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:55 pm »
Being a crack on the back I would not try a glue up and sinew wrap.  You can always cut the bad limb off and splice in a new one if you really want to save this particular bow.

DCM has it right, collect a bunch of material for the future. I keep at least 10 staves in a holding pattern in my shop. Dry, rings chased on the back, some heat corrected and ready for my next project.

Osage cutting is addictive. I find it like searching for hidden treasure. I have so much stockpiled I will never have to cut again in my lifetime.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 01:20:01 pm »
A broken bow, is a broken bow. When you break stuff, you learn something. I wouldn't spend anymore time on it. You could spend many more hours, and end up in the same place you are now. Spend your time making something new!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:51:13 pm »
Tim,
   If you decide not to plane this down and back it....what are yougoing to do for a Stave??? PM me...or email me at my email address in my Personal info......I may be able to help you out with a seasoned stave....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 06:16:28 pm »
thanks everyone for your input.

i think I'll put it in the corner for inspiration.
i have a couple of offers from the nice people here to help me acquire another stave.
this time of year there really isn't any development land being cleared around my area to try and acquire wood from,although that idea has crossed my mind for spring.
i am also going to talk with some tree removal companies and the local city parks department forestry division about trees when i see them cutting down elm etc.
 i really appreciate all the input. and yes this was a learing experience for me and it is the kind of challenge that i live for so i think i'll be doing this for some time to come.
i don't want to be couch potato and this helps me get my butt of of the sofa. i also dont want to make thousands of bows just some for me the wife and my boys to shoot and hunt with and maybe afew to help turn the neighborhood kids onto something other than video games.

thanks again to all and PEACE,
                                                                                                  Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 07:49:53 pm »
Tim, you can't make just one or two. I have one bow of my own making for shooting. I keep giving them away ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 08:33:52 pm »
kinda like lays potato chips then,nobody can stop at just one. lol :D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »
Tim, you can't make just one or two. I have one bow of my own making for shooting. I keep giving them away ;D

I have two Closets full....and have given half of what I made away.....but I am not Addicted.......you'll never get Me to admit that!!!! I can quit any time >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 08:29:32 am »
Sorry but I would say fire wood,Man have to have fire also. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good