Author Topic: Look what My Neighbor gave me  (Read 14192 times)

Bishop

Re: Look what My Neighbor gave me
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 03:04:27 pm »
Wow PK, thats awesome! i was looking over the pics and thought, wow, a bamboo bowstring then i thought, no way..is that string made of bamboo? i didnt know that was possible,.
Bishop

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 03:11:34 pm »
I've seen a pic of a Choctaw bow in Hamm and Allely's book that has a cane string like that.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

PK

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
Nice. You sure the bow is Bamboo?

I was given one a few years ago. The bow was not Bamboo but looked like it was from Palm and less than 3' long, actually the arrows are about the same length as the bow. It also came with a woven quiver that looks like it was woven around the arrows it holds them so well. The arrows are tipped with exacto knife blades
The bow is about 68 to70" The bow has nodes every foot or so, the arras are 2/3 of the bow length The spines are varied 30 to 60 # The points are inserted in the boo and wrapped with boo thread . I'm gonna make a display case for  the set.PK 8) I wrote the Editor Hope to get some info, My neighbor told me the bow was from papau New Guinea.pk

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:26:27 pm by PK »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 05:37:09 pm »
The spines vary between 30-60# ???
The forshaft bases are wrapped with boo?

This set looks more like something used for shooting fish at close range (not spearing monkeys).  Several reasons:  The outfit looks fairly water resistant (boo wrapping instead of sinew or twine), large variations in spine indicate close-range shooting, boo bowstrings NEED to be damp, there's no fletching, and the designs on the arrows look burned in (not affected by water).

Wha-chah think?  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 05:46:39 pm »
Black palm bow, String and arrows looks like Malaysian/New Guinea origin... S. American natives used Black Palm as well, but didn't have bamboo for the string.

Impressive set, and even though any poison may have worn off the points, I'd still make sure they stay clear of young ones, and those who may not grasp the obvious...

Rich

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 05:59:37 pm »
That set is far to dangerous for you to keep around.  Send it to me and all will be well.  ;) Great looking set. The bow is obviously boo, but are you sure that the string is boo and not some other grass? Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 08:13:33 pm »
great looking set!  i have one that looks just like it. mine came from new guinea. and i have the info on it. the bow is made from mullberry, the arrows are boo and the string is boo too.
the arrow heads pull out of the shaft, the barbed ones where for war fare so you could retrive your arrow and leave the head inside them, the smooth ones where for small  game, (they pull out too) and then i have a boo point made for pigs, it had blood stains on it.      also the monkey points have beautiful carvings in them of monkeys and tribal designs.  and ofcourse poison was used regularly
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 08:17:54 pm »
ok the pictures arnt working, i'll try one more time if they dont work somepleaser tell me why

Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 09:10:32 pm »
Thats a cool looking set Is your friend a missionary or knows some missionarys  if so they could tell you what country or region its from
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 09:32:03 pm »
looks like something the pygmies would use in the rainforest sharpened points with poison or a jungle tribe
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 09:56:26 pm »
Twistedlimbs, how long are those arrows? I was watching a show the other night about the Mek tribe in Papua NG, A guy was shooting a pig with an arrow that looked like it was 4 1/2' long.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 10:31:05 pm »
the arrows i have are roughly 5' long :o

PK- do your points slide out of the arrows too?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:05 pm »
  Pk great payment. I've seen some like that before. I  believe they were from New Guinea or the Phillipines.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

PK

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:31 pm »
 I'm pretty sure they are from Papau New Guinea. I remeasured and the shafts are 33", the points are 8" exept the arrow with the Bird Beak? it is 39/1/2 and point is 8/1/4
The string is boo it has nodes Her is some more pics to dazzle your eyes, they are blurring mine. I think I'll mount them to a  piece of wood then on the wall. I  think the fat end of the bow is the lower. This set looks to be made for the tourist trade, Thats my opinion. I can test the points for blood and toxins.I also think some of the lines are from the wrap that has come off, exept the bone tip which is painted

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:45:39 am by PK »

PK

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 11:14:41 pm »
The spines vary between 30-60# ???
The forshaft bases are wrapped with boo?

This set looks more like something used for shooting fish at close range (not spearing monkeys).  Several reasons:  The outfit looks fairly water resistant (boo wrapping instead of sinew or twine), large variations in spine indicate close-range shooting, boo bowstrings NEED to be damp, there's no fletching, and the designs on the arrows look burned in (not affected by water).

Wha-chah think?  ;D
No fletch, I would think close.