Author Topic: I am on a bow breaking streak!  (Read 4124 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: I am on a bow breaking streak!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 09:14:33 am »
Bummer Eric.  :(
As I've recently been told these things happen through no fault of our own.
That is a rather "impressive" break though.  :o

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »
About the burn pile; there is only one bow on the pile, the rest of the stuff is trimmings from cutting down wide hickory and osage staves to their final dimension. The arrow is one I really dinged up shooting groups, because I am so cheap I will  continue to shoot a damaged arrow against my better judgement unless I break it across my knee and throw it in the trash. Luckily common sense prevailed in this case and I snapped the arrow and quickly threw it on the burn pile.   

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 01:13:11 pm »
   I went through my pile last weekend and ended up trashing about 30 bows that were either works in progress or experiments that didn't quite pan out as hoped. I am winding down my bow making.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 07:59:08 pm »
I figured you couldn't keep that pace up indefinitely, Steve :^)

I've thinned my hoard of bow wood a few times in the last several years. Although for the last year or so I've been hoarding again, GOOD stuff this time, and not hesitating to burn anything that isn't. I suppose I've got enough that it doesn't bother me to 'pull the weeds' like it used to.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »
I thought I posted, getting old, anyway, I think your on a "learning streak" :)

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 01:46:20 pm »
   I went through my pile last weekend and ended up trashing about 30 bows that were either works in progress or experiments that didn't quite pan out as hoped. I am winding down my bow making.

Winding down as in quitting or slowing down?

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 02:41:55 pm »

Winding down as in quitting or slowing down?

Slowing way down, I may have built about 4 or 5 bows this year. No more experimenting, just building for specific things mostly flight shooting. I built a 90#  67" boo backed ipe  ELB this year that I have high hopes for. It was one of those rare bows that didn't take so much as a whisper of set. It kind of satisfied me like a big meal does and I didn't start anything else right afterward.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 07:10:27 pm »
This last year I had a few bows cave in on me.After over 2 years of shooting them.I just take the overlays off the tips or salvage what I can and eventually they'll go in the wood stove.Arrows are made by me to break or lose eventually too....lol.Still seems like there's always some idea coming over the horizon to make more though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bow101

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 12:13:03 am »
This last year I had a few bows cave in on me.After over 2 years of shooting them.I just take the overlays off the tips or salvage what I can and eventually they'll go in the wood stove.Arrows are made by me to break or lose eventually too....lol.Still seems like there's always some idea coming over the horizon to make more though.

I also remove overlays or just cut the tips off and use on another bow.  Experiments is another brain stormer . If I dont challenge myself I wont learn so I build 1 piece, 2 piece and take downs.  Only type of bow not to my credit yet is a self bow.   ::)   But I will get there this year I hope.  And I will also build a Synthetic bow before the year is up but I wont discuss that here.  Currently I'am focusing on Archery and nothing but and enjoying every minute of it... :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell