Author Topic: Have you used pucte for bowmaking?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline turmoiler

Have you used pucte for bowmaking?
« on: May 30, 2016, 09:17:43 am »
Hello,

I've found a plece where they sell pucte boards (Bucida buceras) It's heavier than water and and I would say it is more or less as hard as ipe.
Have anyone of you used this wood for bowmaking? It seems of serious candidate but I am afraid of chrysals that appear quite commonly in tropical hardwoods.

greetings

Offline Badger

Re: Have you used pucte for bowmaking?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:06:34 am »
  I have never heard of it. I would give it a shot if I were you. Seems like the majority of the heavy woods like that do chrysal though.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 10:40:58 am »
Hey there,

I've heard about this wood here in Brazil, and if you get the right dimensions for the bow, it should make an excellent bow wood.

Following is a paragraph from Wikipedia:

"The wood of the bullet tree is extremely hard and durable. It has a high resistance to insects and fungus, and is sometimes used for house posts or bridge timbers. The bark may be used for tanning leather."

Sounds like a great wood to me, I'd surely get my hands on it as soon as possible.

Good luck!
~Isaia

Limbit

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:33:47 am »
If you go by the name "Bullet Wood" you can find many examples of it being used as a bow wood, albeit all of the ones I saw in the past were backed with something.