Author Topic: Belly plugs  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Belly plugs
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 10:18:30 pm »
There are cases where leaving a hole open would certainly bring failure. I made that rectangular plug before I finished tillering the bow. I think the limb would have broken before I got it tillered if I had not repaired the belly.

The thing is, wood is much stronger in tension than compression, so the belly needs to have no large voids or bad wood..
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 01:09:44 am »
Hey Ryan,

what I use and feel to be the best is powdered stone.  I get it from a wood turners supply in the usa.  I use mostly the green - malachite and the dark blue - lapis.   

Mixed with a bit of gel ca glue it works amazing and polishes up nice too.    Will fill right to the edges of the whole and very little voids.

I use it for my circular arrow pass on the longbows and also for filling knot holes from dead branches.

cheers,

Jamie
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:43:00 am »
Jamie you did some with copper filings that looked really nice.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 11:08:42 am »
Hey you are correct.  Have we met?

I really like the copper dust as well.  It is a bit tricky to work with because it sets up so fast.

I have also used grey sand from the kids sand bow.  That worked great also.

I have never liked the look of sawdust and glue.
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 12:16:14 pm »
Thanks Jamie. I knew you used stone for arrow passes, not for belly knots.
I'll have to check that out. I've seen Simon use aluminum I believe.
I'm not wild about the look of sawdust either, thanks for your input.

Offline Markus

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 06:00:30 pm »
Pieces of sinew made into a ball saturated with hide glue and stuffed into the hole workes also.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 11:26:25 pm »
Ravenbeak no we have not met haha I emailed you about sinew a while ago. Look forward to attending one of your arrow courses. Cheers

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 05:55:23 am »
Baking soda and ca glue is often used to repair missing sections of ivory bridges on string instruments. When it sets up it's as easily as hard as quartz. There's a chemical reaction that takes place, but I'm not sure of the details without looking it up. Next time you got your ca glue out mix it with a little baking soda and let it dry on your table. After it sets up test it's strength, I was surprised.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 03:07:40 am »
Some interesting thoughts here. I've used powdered stones as well. Look at a traditional artists shop that sells pigments.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 03:25:40 am »
I've been re-reading Del's blog and way back he used a piece of limb as a plug so the end result looked like a knot. He only seemed to use it once and never mentioned it again. It sounded like a real slick idea.
Yeah, that was for decorative effect, the limb plug has pith in the centre which may create a weak point so I didn't do it again (it was also a lot of work)
Personally I don't like the idea of stone etc. I think the ideal plug should have the same properties as the material around it. I try to use an off cut from the same log, of saw dust/epoxy with the dust being from the same log.
I think the killer is where you have either buried knots which are invisible or small knots which go bigger and deeper than you realise giving effectively a cavity.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 08:38:13 am »
I have done several of these half moon plugs, they work but don't last for the long haul, usually cracking in a year or so of shooting.