Author Topic: Hazel/Dogwood  (Read 4053 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hazel/Dogwood
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:26:57 am »
I have access to some hazel shoots here.I've made lots of dogwood shafts but not hazel yet.I was wondering if there was much difference in width/spine/etc. from someone who has made both.These will need to season some here.The density of dogwood is quite a bit more than hazel.Hazels' density is about like walnut and I like what walnut produces for me as shafts.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Hazel/Dogwood
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:58:33 am »
Just try em out, hazel makes a good shafts from what I've heard. -cheers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:39:14 am »
Thanks and I will but wanted to see if someone could comment from working with it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:41 am »
the few hazel shafts I have made seem to be bigger around than dogwood, but worked good. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:05:06 pm »
Ya, they will be thicker diameter than dogwood, so cut them thicker.
They dry quick and straighten easy with a heat gun, smells good when it gets toasted too.
Same with dogwood, don't cut first year growth.
Hazel makes good arrows, but is my least favourite compared to the others I have access too

Offline flecha

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:29:03 pm »
California Hazel is my favorite hands down.  Easy to season, work with stone tools, stays straight, easy to find plenty of straight pieces, etc.  Red osier dogwood has many of the same desirable characteristics, but doesn't seem to stay as straight.  If I can't get California Hazel, I like wild rose.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:51:44 pm »
Thanks fellas....Makes sense they would be thicker than dogwood.It is a less denser wood.Pretty sure I cut them thick enough.Anyway got 2 bundles of 7 drying 40" long.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:45:08 am »
What I'm hoping hazel will be is to be about 50 to 55 spine @ 11/32" thick or a little thicker maybe @ 30" long but be a little lighter than dogwood mass weight wise.Like around 425 grains before 125 grain field tip.
BowEd
Ed

Offline neuse

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:43:38 am »
I think hazel was Ishi's favorite for arrows.
I have tried to find some, but it does not grow here.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »
I think Ishi used witch hazel.  Beadman, are you talking about hazelnut?  We have a bunch of that in northern Missouri, and I have some seasoning, but haven't made up any arrows yet.  It's completely different from witch hazel, but I think it can make good arrows.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »
Timbo......I'm talking about hazel shafts from a hazel nut bush here in Iowa.It's an old old bush and there was a 2" thick 71" long sapling prospect of a bow in it along with two 40" long bundles of shafts now drying.Seven shafts in each bundle.I'll get to them later.
Took the bark off of the sapling and it began to check in this hot weather so I painted it with shellac and it stopped.
BowEd
Ed