Author Topic: sinew erc tiller advise  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinew erc tiller advise
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
Mid limb on the left is almost hinging and both outer limbs are still a bit stiff. By correcting the outer on the left may help ease the hingy point at mid limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
I see both what ya'll see will sand a bit more on these spots..have sand tilled this bow...wood is so soft... gut

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »
No kidding!  120 grit is like taking a draw knife to it!!!  Better step down to something a little finer grit for additional tillering!

Looking pretty good, likely be a good shooting bow that lasts for you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »
There is a hinge starting on the left mid limb. The inner left limb is still stiff, sorting this out will help the hinge. The right inner limb is also stiff for about 6 inches out from the fade. The tip is also too stiff.
I would go back to the long string and sort out these problems, maybe forget about the 50# for now until the tiller is correct. Then low brace and make certain you have sorted out the main weak spot mid left limb.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 03:08:21 pm »
I agree with the take.It is some very touchy wood to tiller.Just showing a brace profile might help too.The bow looks plenty white/mostly sap wood is it?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 03:15:37 pm »
only heart wood is in handle....

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 03:21:08 pm »
That's interesting gut.Did you chase a ring then?Thanks for showing your bow.I've got a limb that might work out like your bow unless I decrown it.
BowEd
Ed

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 03:29:37 pm »
no I just removed bark and sinewed it

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »
Well kinda anxious to see your adjustments and final tiller draw bud.I'm sure it's light as a feather in the hand.Sweet bow I'm sure.
BowEd
Ed

gutpile

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
in a tree next two days..might touch it Friday... it doesnt take much sanding at all to change the tiller now... gotta be careful here on out for sure...I like leaving my tips a tad stiff gives it a lil more zip IMO... Ill give them a lil sanding but will work inner a bit more..still not much though..  thanks for all the eyes guys... I appreciate it ...gut

gutpile

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 10:41:16 am »
for some reason I cant load pic says size too big ...I sanded both limbs left inner and outter a bit more...drew to 24 bow still has slight appearance of hinge in same spot...but if I zoom pic in, it completely disappears and looks perfect...wondering if its an optical illusion on tree...may flip it around tonight and try again and see if that is what it is... anyway the pic is on my facebook page..not sure why I cant load it here like the others... I have no way to resize it...gut

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 01:55:22 pm »
Ok lets see if this works..had somebody resize for since I'm an idiot..haha

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 07:07:56 am »
I was wondering how this bow turned out...  I have an ERC under construction now and am considering it for my first attempt at sinew backing.  I was looking back through some old threads and ran across this one.  How did it do?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

gutpile

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 09:23:20 am »
she is a beauty... quite the shooter feels great in hand...super light in weight with no handshock... ended up high forties at 26.5.... I skinned her with some canebreaks.... left the belly white... Had her reflexed about 3 inches prior to tiller...she lost 2 of that during last few inches of tiller...holds the 1 inch well after shooting... Love this bow....thanks for asking.. I may even enter her in BOM soon..just havent had time to so...
I have a few more staves clean no knots ..really straight... I am out of sinew though so they will have to wait...sinew and cedar are a great combo IMO...
she is 61 inches tip to tip..has  1-1/2 fades 4 inch handle..... gut
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:27:42 am by gutpile »

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »
Looks good so far,
.... let's see the pics with the origin string!
ANd some details, please!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany