Author Topic: acer pseudoplatanus, english sycamore  (Read 1630 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
acer pseudoplatanus, english sycamore
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:20:13 am »
Righto, so, all this time I thought the sycamore in the bow-wood lists was the one growing in the UK, turns out its not. American sycamore is a Platanus, but sycamore over here is an Acer. Acer Pseudoplatanus (European sycamore), I think its sycamore maple over there? Anyway, it  is the most common tree here, literally a weed. As an Acer is it good for bows, and specifically as a maple with a SG of .61 is it any good for horn bows?

While I'm on a roll, I've seen there is an awful lot of Norway Maple growing here (Acer platanoides) its sg is .50, .65, anyone know anything about it?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:57:46 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: acer pseudoplatanus, english sycamore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 05:32:51 am »
I've got sycamores growing around here.In the maple family I've presumed.So is Box elder which is here too.Silver maple is here too.All of these personally might make a lighter weight type horn bow under 50#'s.The sugar or hard maple is still the best because of it's higher density.All of these if air dried not kiln dried to keep elasticity qualities.To put the time into a horn bow I personally would'nt use border line materials as far as density goes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: acer pseudoplatanus, english sycamore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:38:45 pm »
I think your Sycamore would be comparable to Norway Maple, White Ash or Yellow Birch. I don't know about horn bows, but I'll bet it would make a nice ALB. I'd go with wide parallel limbs halfway and taper from there.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb