Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84668 times)

Offline DC

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2017, 10:35:00 am »
Nocking the arrow higher will stop it from hitting your hand too. An 1/8" height change will make the difference between hurting and not even noticing it go by.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #346 on: April 14, 2017, 02:40:48 pm »
This was useful to me when first tying on own nock points.
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAydUrB_eKA
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:24:42 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2017, 05:45:40 am »
For nock points, I just do a surgical knot of sorts, then serve away from where the arrow would be.

Could also tie a double or even quadruple constrictor knot, but those are very hard to remove. I've ruined a few strings trying to cut off nock points..

Offline Marin

« Reply #348 on: April 16, 2017, 12:27:33 am »
Well, I made my nock point. I did it about half an inch above the center (Just like in the  video knoll shared). I haven't glued it down yet but before I do, does it look about right.
Sorry if the second photo is too blurry.

Offline bubby

« Reply #349 on: April 16, 2017, 01:23:47 am »
Shoot it and see it it still hits your hand
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #350 on: April 16, 2017, 03:23:19 am »
It's hard to see in your picture, but if you are nocking arrow onto the nock point, ya probably don't want to do that.
Use nock point to "bump" your arrow's nock against. So arrow is either immediately above or below nock point.
Experimenting will tell ya if arrow prefers to be above/below nock point. Since ya tied it on 1/2" above center, arrow will likely want to be below nock point.
Carry on.
(SH)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline FilipT

« Reply #351 on: April 16, 2017, 07:19:12 am »
What Knoll said. You don't put arrow ON nock point, but below it if you have one nock point, or if you have two, between them.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #352 on: April 16, 2017, 12:10:25 pm »
What Bubby and Knoll said, also I always shape my handle so I put my hand in the same place to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marin

« Reply #353 on: April 16, 2017, 01:53:26 pm »
Silly me >:(
Should I make the nock point right at the center and not above it? And should I glue it down?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #354 on: April 16, 2017, 02:07:09 pm »
Id wait to glue it in place until you've shot it a bit in different places and found where shoots best. Then glue er down.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2017, 06:10:21 am »
Id wait to glue it in place until you've shot it a bit in different places and found where shoots best. Then glue er down.

Kyle
What Kyle says. It probably is pretty close now. Remember arrow rest probably doesn't pass through center either, usually a inch or so higher than center. I'd shoot it and see where it feels best.
Bjrogg

Offline Marin

« Reply #356 on: April 18, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »
Well I was able to get out today and shoot my bow. I pulled it to 21 inches of draw but I realized last week that as my tiller stick was measuring from he top of the stick (rather than from the back of he bow) that I have already pulled to is point on the tiller stick (20" on the tiller stick)
Anyways, I can't seem to find anything wrong with the tiller so far. I don't know if it's just me but does the top limb look stiffer than the bottom?
And yes, my arrow is now rather high. I might adjust my nock point to make it lower but so far it's great. I could not even feel the arrow go over my hand. Who knew how much of a difference a couple of inches makes.

Offline DC

« Reply #357 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:46 pm »
Just keep nocking it lower and lower, maybe 1/4" at a time. When it scrapes your finger back up a hair. Don't put too much stock in pictures as far as tiller is concerned. Use it but check against something else like a mirror. If you look back at all the full draw photo here you will find a good percentage look like the bottom limb is bending too much. Something about some cameras and such truck. Nocking it lower may change the bend too.

But you got her done, good job :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #358 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:43 am »
Great to see you shooting her Marin, better get started on another one soon so it's done before you wear this one out. Like D.C. said.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:01:06 am by bjrogg »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #359 on: April 19, 2017, 05:08:27 am »
 Congrats Marin good job I agree with DC dont relie on the pics there is always lens distortion paticularly on phone cameras pulled my hair out many times tell I figured it out , light angle can really throw it off , whats next ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !