Author Topic: Back in the Saddle Again  (Read 2893 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Back in the Saddle Again
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 01:24:21 pm »
PatM. Not sure they bend farther, but I do believe they are more stressed, especially mid limb where these knots are. How far forward the tips are would in my opinion be the biggest determining factor in just how stressed. Edify me if I am wrong.  :)  I can't yet tell about the integrity if these knots but I will know more soon. I'm with PD in that I won't let knots in Osage keep me from going a bit aggressive, but they are a factor that has to be taken in.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 03:22:18 pm »
ok I don't think you said what weight you were going for,, you could drop down a bit,, and that would reduce some strain on the limbs,, give you  a more mass to draw weight ratio,,  :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 03:50:05 pm »
Hunting weight bow around 50lb at 27.  I want to keep it close to that and no liter.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:01 pm »
i have a short hunting bow that is 56" and about 50# at 27,, but it is straight limb and bends a little into the handle and has wide limbs,, so it is holding the long draw,,
Badger said something the other day that really stuck with me,, the bow will only give you what it has,, when it starts to take set ,,stop,, whatever the draw is at that point,, I think that simple statement is profound,, and may apply to your bow design at hand,,  :) 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Well....got it peeled like an onion.  Strangest Bodark I have ever, EVER, chased a ring on!  I mentioned that I lost my ring last night and went to the other end and started from there to end up in the middle.  When I got to where the two should meet I was 2 maybe 3 rings off ???  Dang-it!  I spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out where I was on the thing.  The problem was that every time I got near that reddish blotch of wood, the early wood all but disappeared.  No matter what I did I couldn't find  the ring I was on.  So I would count the rings, go to the other end and and try and join them up.  Off every time!  I almost gave it up as a lost cause at one point, but thru shear luck only, on my last attempt, which I had no confidence in anything changing, I hooked the two up!  Shear luck as I had no clue where I was.  I have never seen that before.  Really strange. Any how, the first knot is at 10 inches from the tip and the other is 16 inches.  The wood seems sound as a dollar so I am continuing on.  I'm gonna draw it out and shoot for a 58 inch character static recurve.  I may find out there is no such thing.  I want to keep the weight up around 50 at 27 inches. The stave is 2 inches wide so I have some wiggle room on width, but I am thinking I may need most of that.  Bubby suggested deflexing the handle and I may do that.  Pretty piece of Sage for sure.  Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed.
Brad...I'm not so much concerned with set as I am one of those knots letting go.  I will monitor the set as I go, so good advice.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 10:34:00 pm »
That's looking pretty sweet! Gotta love the workmates eh!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 04:28:25 am »
Glad you are back at it, that is a pretty piece of wood, not sure it will do what you want but sounds like you are going to find out. ;) :) I think that short with that much draw deflexing the handle would be a good idea but hay that's just me, as most know I like safer and overbuilt for the most part. :) Keep us updated.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 05:59:32 am »
Bob,
if it's me - I wouldn't hesitate to make a static out of that stick!

Chasing a ring:
I know what you are talking about, really! It helps most to have the right light. I like to work on such things in the night with a good desk light which is positionable. next thing if you aren't sure: sand that portion with fine sandpaper. And if you are still in doubt wipe on that portion with a wet cloth - the early wood gets darker!

Good luck - it is a very nice piece of wood.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 08:05:36 am »
Thanks for checking in Pappy and Simon, and thanks for the input.  Two guys that I admire and both with opposite opinions.  I'm gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:15 am »
I think you gotta a good solid plan,,looking good :)