Author Topic: Cutting splices without a bandsaw  (Read 3668 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Cutting splices without a bandsaw
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 03:20:52 am »
V- splice then get the fit as good as you can. Take apart and steam the ends for 15 minutes. Fit together and clamp = Perfect splice :)
I would advise you to do some practise joints first.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 10:52:04 am »
I bought an 8' piece of 1x2 and cut it into 8" pieces. Made six practice splices. Cost about $2. I use Z spices so I can cut both ends at the same time. Steam and clamp every one. I do use a band saw but all the other stuff counts :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
With a pull saw you probably get a much smoother cut as well
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 11:08:58 am »
I don't know if this is hijacking but I have a Lee Valley pull saw and when I try to rip, especially when I'm going straight across the grain, the saw bounces and vibrates as each tooth hits the harder grain. Is there a special pull saw for ripping? I know there is in western hand saws

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 11:12:59 am »
I don't know if this is hijacking but I have a Lee Valley pull saw and when I try to rip, especially when I'm going straight across the grain, the saw bounces and vibrates as each tooth hits the harder grain. Is there a special pull saw for ripping? I know there is in western hand saws
  Which saw specifically? I have had good luck with just their cheaper pull saws. The ones with the orange or green handle that offer snap in replaceable blades.
  They are a bit more all purpose but cut a nice clean kerf.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 11:38:22 am »
The top one. I don't use it for splicing because it has a hard back. The Dewalt does the same thing. I wonder if it's from the growth rings having roughly the same spacing as the teeth?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »
Well I did some practicing and now I've started cutting with a jigsaw and I have to say, Osage really does not like being ripped even with brand new blades on the jigsaw it just smoked and burns more than cuts haha.
I like osage

Offline GB

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »
I did a W splice on my table saw on my last bow from billets.  The last half inch or so I finished with a handsaw.  It sure wasn't a perfect fit, but it was close enough for Unibond.  Pat B is on the money about narrowing the handle before you draw and cut your splice.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »
I did a W splice on my table saw on my last bow from billets.  The last half inch or so I finished with a handsaw.  It sure wasn't a perfect fit, but it was close enough for Unibond.  Pat B is on the money about narrowing the handle before you draw and cut your splice.

I got them both roughly cut out but I have a lot of filing to get it to fit correctly, then steam and clamp.
I like osage