Author Topic: Urgent question about lilac!  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Urgent question about lilac!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 11:54:13 am »
I've never worked with lilac but I would le leery of sealing the staves completely in plastic. This seems to me it would encourage fungal growth. DC suggests that when he sees condensation in the plastic tubes he opened the ends to release the moisture. This seems to be the smart way to go with this method. Let moisture out and fresh air back in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 11:58:41 am »
Thanks for the input DC!  I'll try something like that.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 12:15:23 pm »
I've finally just bit the bullet and plan on a year at least for OS and the like(plum and lilac I guess). It's not hard once you get a stash.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 12:32:43 pm »
Yes I wouldn't completely wrap them. I agree they would grow something, especially with our climate here. I've got lots of other staves seasoned and ready. (Mostly yew, have been collecting for ten years or so)Not trying to work this right now just didn't want it to be useless in a year.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 01:39:58 pm »
No. When they are in their first month of drying if you seal them up you will have condensation overnight, if not sooner. It takes a little fiddling to arrive at the right ventilation but it doesn't take much to keep it dry inside the bag. Even then, drying it in the bag may not be good in the long run, time will tell. A rotten stave is no good but neither is one that is split from stem to stern. I have had OS that was almost a year drying and we had a cold snap and very low humidity, it split about two feet overnight.
 I my shop I have no issues with Yew. It will dry reasonably well in six months, no sealing at all. Longer is better of course

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 02:35:19 pm »
You certainly don't want to leave the stave sealed in plastic indefinitely  but there is actually a fairly narrow window of moisture content that will allow fungus and rot to set in.  Too wet, won't rot, too dry won't rot.  Josh

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 05:21:10 pm »
Josh you are right about that... split,peeled and sealed. Put on another coat in a little bit.