Author Topic: Posiblly this could be the one  (Read 6873 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Posiblly this could be the one
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:39:47 pm »
I've been working on making better arrows by testing spine and I my opinion even more importantly bare shaft testing. My target arrows are shooting much better but I needed to do the same to some stone point hunting arrows. I knapped this point out of some butterscotch flint river I got from Frank at Marshall. It's weight is almost exactly the same as my 125 grain target point after including deer sinew and pine sap charcoal mix. The arrow shaft is Red Oiser filed down to 69 lb spine and 30 1/2" long. It started at 77 lb spine and I filed it down until it shoot perfect bare shaft with my HHB bow. I painted my usual markings and fletched with wild turkey primaries, sinew wrapped front and back. I haven't shoot it yet with fletching on but I'm expecting good things. I'm getting my equipment ready now need to get all the other little and big things ready that make a successful harvest.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Lumberman

Re: Posiblly this could be the one
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:15:51 pm »
Very purty arrow you got there

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:42:16 pm »
Great looking stick BJ. Now you just need six more identical :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:14:43 pm »
Thanks lumber man. Thanks Pearl yea with the target points 1st one takes the longest. After I have the specs. It helps get closer for the bare shaft. I can knap a bit but it'll probably take me awhile to get another 5 heads identical. Guess i can get close and use some wieght if I have to

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »
Slick, bj. Really slick.
I'll be copying the graphics and color combo.  >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:01 pm »
Thanks knoll it's really pretty simple

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:54:29 pm »
Nice job!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:11:35 pm »
Good going.Very nice arrow.Sure hope your successful.It's nice when things come all together.Tuning and all.Especially making those really nice stone points with the dogwoods.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:02 pm »
Thanks guy. Thanks Ed it really is such a great feeling just shooting all of this stuff that I made. I can't imagine what it would feel like to successfully harvest a deer with it. I'm trying not to put the cart before the horse because I know it will be a far different hunt than any other I've ever done. It's one thing to make this stuff another to hunt with it, but I plan on enjoying every bit of it whatever the outcome.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 04:38:46 am »
Beautiful arrow, nothing like making an arrows and then making it do what it 's supposed to. It take time but in my opinion well worth the effort. Usually if you bare shaft with the weight field tip that is the same or close to what your hunting set up will be you will be good. Just FYI don't try and bare shaft with a hunting point weather it be stone or steel, you won't be happy with the outcome. ;) :) :) the blade takes over the guiding and they are pretty wild in flight. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 06:37:42 am »
Thanks for the heads up Pappy. I was afraid I'd maybe break head with angled entry in target, but it still looks great. I know from earlier attempts it's very important to halvted point centered with no wobble. Didn't know about not bare shafting hunting points. It actually flew really well and bare shafted just like my target points. Guess I'll see how it shoots with fletching and if it's good try to build more to the specs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 08:14:12 am »
You'll do fine.There are growing pains with all of this stuff.A line from Jim Hamm always comes to me....You got to be more persistent than smart at times.Seems to me it's a little of both really.....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:08:21 pm »
Sounds right to me Ed. I'm persistent and probably a bit of  a perfectionist, unless it's "good enough for some things". I plan on just enjoying the hunt and maybe the stars will line up. One of my biggest problems is going to be reason I never took up bow hunting before its just real busy time of year for me. I'm really going to try to squeeze out some time and hopefully some preseason scouting will help to

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »
I like that line Beadman, persistence comes more naturally than the other  on this end haha

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 03:48:13 pm »
bjrogg.....Be forewarned about these dogwoods.You may already know.Some may look like a million bucks but not shoot clean bare shafted[I've broken a few just on impact shooting them or glancing them off my target],but the upside is they are really tough amigos to shoot when flying right.Good hunting weight too for under a 20 yard shot.Not much grain running out like split wood shafts.Natural long taper for forgiveness to them I'm sure were some of your reasons to shoot them.Success rate of around 50% or a little better that make the cut that I get.So cutting plenty of them/letting them season 6 months or 3 months above a wood stove....lol.I bundle butt to tip 7 in a bunch.6 around 1.At least 36" long.Pre straighten before bundling too to make it less work to finish them out.Just my observations on them anyway.Is that about what you do too?Hope your success rate is higher because you want to really frill them up.I just shoot old plain jane looking things.I seem to loose em someway....lol.I do keep 6 shafts with broadheads[metal though] that shoot good in the 600 to 650 grain range/50 to 55 spine on hand for hunting season always.Remarkably they don't warp very much over time like some will.Pat B always quotes the 2 year old shaft is best.Could be they are that then.
Good sign of activity and persistence again will get you there hunting.Many different tree stands can help too for wind reasons.At least for me.I'll be one of the first to say way to go when you post the results.
BowEd
Ed