Author Topic: Posiblly this could be the one  (Read 6872 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Posiblly this could be the one
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 04:18:16 pm »
Thanks Ed. I definitely started out harvesting to small of diameter shoots not realizing how much they would shrink down and that I could file them down to spine and weight I wanted. Luckily I found some beauties that where quite straight and about 7' long. When I harvested them I was thinking Atl Atl darts but found out they are really just right to file down for arrows. I didn't even have a clue I'd be doing any of this year ago so I don't have any that where harvested before January of this year and my nicest ones beginning of March. I made my 1st arrows from the ones I harvested in January and they weren't as straight and a bit light in spine for my bow. I have trouble keeping some of them straight. I've made 3 arrows from the nicest ones that I harvested in March they are staying nice and straight. I really like the red osier but in all honesty haven't used much else. I tried some ash shoots, and a few other types but they all seemed to have to much pith and I may not have let them dry enough. I have never made arrow from store bought shafts. I did get a dozen at Marshall but haven't used them yet. Thanks again for the tips and encouragement.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »
PS painting the markings on them really doesn't take me that long and it makes it easier for me to find my arrows. Lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 06:08:06 pm »
bjrogg....You do a fine job on them painting.At least you knapp your own points too.It'll take a little time to accumulate a stock of dogwood shafts but it'll happen.You've got enough time before hunting season I would say.Wanting to shoot them I try to keep a few extra bundles seasoning.More than what I can loose.....lol.
I usually put on a bright colored feather so I can find them easier and that's all.
Arrow making takes a need and mood for me to make a bunch.Especially shoot shafts.
I don't have any experience making atlatal shafts but seems there should be something out there to use though.I just cut some hazel shoots that were pretty long.Pretty straight too.It did'nt have any pith in them.They were from a hazel nut bush.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 08:23:56 pm »
I really don't know what hazel nut looks like. I don't think it grows around here but I'm not sure. I think Marc uses Sparkle berry but I don't know what it looks like either, or if I grows here. I'm starting to accumulate a stockpile of materials to season now. Building arrows is about the same as bows for me one at a time pretty much work at it whenever I get a hour or so. I really do enjoy it very relaxing. I still try pretty hard to find mine yet it usually takes longer to make them than find them.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 08:35:30 am »
Yes...Making good arrows is as much of an art as making a good bow.Some think even more at times.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 01:31:23 pm »
Well this was the 1st stone point arrow that I shot at a deer, also 1st one I hit one with. Unfortunately doe was right under my tree and I made a poor shot a bit ahead and high. The arrow barely penetrated when it hit bone. I'm quite sure this doe is relatively unscathed, but much wiser now. I thought about saving arrow for keep sake, but then I decided this might get 2nd stone point  shot at deer and 1st stone point arrow I make a kill with. I knapped a head the same weight from mahogany obsidian I got from Frank at Marshall and arrow is ready to hunt again. I love how it turned out
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »
A few more pictures