Author Topic: Pottery at Pete's  (Read 14212 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Pottery at Pete's
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 08:21:13 pm »
Hey Zuma, found this article about shells. Explains it better than I can,

I poured the crushed shells in a cast iron pot and placed it on a gas range. Steam quickly began rising from the shells. Hydrogen sulfide could be smelled as it was driven out. Then, as the shells turned white, there was an odd odor. I leaned over to sniff and saw stars. Fortunately, I had about three seconds to cut off the burner, before completely blacking out. I woke up on the kitchen floor about 30 minutes later. This obviously is an experiment that one should not try at home.

Eventually, a friend, who is a chemical engineer, figured out what had happened. Freshwater mussel shells contain chemical impurities that are not present in sea shells, particularly in their mother-of-pearl inner surface. When heated to over 500 degrees those chemicals react to create cyanide gas! Methinks that the young lady at the University of Alabama was either trying to make herself immortal by entering the Guinness Book of World Records through the most anthropology students killed at one time, or she really, really didn’t like her ex-boyfriend, the married professor. I could see her fluttering her lovely Alabama Belle eyes and demurely uttering, “Some more hot, crushed, Black Warrior River, mussel shells my dear?”
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 08:26:45 pm »
More good info;

Instructions from the Alabama Belle with a death wish, said to fire the shell-tempered pottery to at least a cherry-red temperature and hold it there for two hours. What temperature is cherry red? All pottery turns “red hot” when being fired. I guessed she meant “earthenware temperature” and placed the appropriate temperature cones in my kiln.

The Maya tripod pot fired beautifully. There was not a flaw. The pot pinged like the finest porcelain. It glistened like a Corvette with candy-apple enamel on it. As soon as the pot cooled enough to pull out of the kiln, I photographed it, and sent an email to the tribe’s Mikko (Principal Chief) to brag about the gift that was coming his way.

The next afternoon, I happened to glance at the pot. Hairline cracks were forming that gave it the appearance of raku pottery. I didn’t understand how cracks could form 24 hours after coming out of the kiln, but the pattern made the pot look even more exotic.

While I was cooking breakfast the next morning the pot’s handles fell off. By noon the handles were two piles of ceramic pebbles. Throughout the day, I could hear pop, pop, pop, as more tiny shards exploded from the vessel. By noon of the third day after firing, the beautiful two gallon Maya tripod cooking pot was a pile of polychrome pebbles. It was an artistic disaster.

Further research in a book on Britannic-Roman shell-tempered pottery revealed the source of the disaster. Shell-tempered pottery can only be fired to the point when it just begins to glow red. If it is fired the translucent, orange-red glow of stoneware and porcelain ceramics, the calcite changes into an unstable chemical similar to Portland cement. After it cools, the unstable calcium compound will absorb moisture from the air and revert to hydrated lime. At this point, nothing bonds the clay particles together, so they disintegrate.

There were enough crushed, hydrated freshwater mussel shells to make a big batch of pottery, if I mixed them with limestone sand. The chemical reaction was the same for limestone as shells. The new pieces of pottery were fired to just the right temperature. They came out of the kiln perfectly and did not disintegrate afterward. However, making shell-tempered pottery was not worth the effort and risk.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:41 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies. folks:)
I happened to be in Florida and the gator pipes
seemed apropos. I actually gifted some pipes and
bowls to folks I met down there before they went
snap crackle pop. I never heard about it :laugh:
BJ Lyman has a darn good handle on all the primitive stuff.
I totally recomend playing with the mud It's rewarding.
Hey I just saw the Alabama death post >:D. Glad you found it
nothing about it on a  on a shell tempered pottery search.
Open flame temps are around 1650 degrees (ABO Earthenware)
Stoneware around 1850-2000. which I use in the kill. (insurance)
and I fire my spaghetti bowls too. Above 2k you can get porcelain

Grog can also be used for heat transfer. Natural sand is not good as it is round
from erosion or glacial action. That's why they crush rock for grog.
The tiny jagged edges knit together with the clay better.
Zuma
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:33:20 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »
Oh Tom I almost forgot. ???
No potatoes for you! :P
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »
I had hoped they(the potatoes) were all consumed by now! The ribbed mussel shells I gifted you are a SALT water species. Not sure about the toxic aspect of them vs. fresh water, think Lyman has the correct idea, throw them in the fire and walk away.
One thing leads to another...

Offline Zuma

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 10:56:00 pm »
Oh! The ocean may have saved my life :)
Still no potato.
Zuma

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:11 am »
Glad your ok Zuma I was starting to get worried when you said you had headache yet, and then after reading the rest of the story. The outside fire pit sounds like a good idea.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:37:07 pm »
Glad your ok Zuma I was starting to get worried when you said you had headache yet, and then after reading the rest of the story. The outside fire pit sounds like a good idea.
Bjrogg
Thanks BJ, That's what I get for trying to
circumvent the ABO way.
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:11:19 pm »
Well, the turn out at House Mountain was respectable.
We were part of a very interesting group of mud slingers.
Keith was the master of ceremonies. Picture #1
Nobody seemed to mind handling the clay after Keith's
bare feet. Hmmm
Pic #2
I don't think anyone was facing Mecca??
I think I should correct some firing temps.
The charts say low fired earthenware 1800 f and stoneware at 2300f
porcelain at 2400f
A good ole wood fire at 1600f
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:15:31 pm by Zuma »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 06:24:26 pm »
That looks like something my grandsons would really enjoy. I'm sure they'd be laughing the whole time the clay might get spread out a bit and their grandma might not think it was that good of an idea.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 05:28:24 pm »
Well, we are all someone's grandson or grandaughter >:D
and like to play in the dirt.
Zuma

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 06:21:10 am »
Good observation Zuma, I think most of the people on this site are probably just big kids anyhow with a lot more experience but that same imagination.
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 07:13:28 pm »
From what I understand face book
has all the photos.  >:(
Some should be AWESOME. :)
Tom and Bill produced fantastic stuff. 8)
And the others did some cool stuff too.
All in all, a wonderful experience.
Zuma

Offline Tom W

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 05:07:11 pm »
And that 'tator was good too!
One thing leads to another...

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 05:39:44 pm »
Here are a few Zuma...

It was a great time and learned a lot. Spending time with friends and like minded folks makes it even greater.