Author Topic: Osage Character Bow Tiller Check  (Read 3008 times)

Offline 100grains

Osage Character Bow Tiller Check
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:51:48 am »
Hey all, this forum has been of immense help to me as I dove into the world of primitive archery.  While this is not my first bow, the first did in fact break, much to my disappointment.  After being gifted an excellent stave for Christmas, I waited until a few weeks ago to build up the audacity to take a draw knife to it.  The going has been very slow, as I'm pretty scared of breaking such a nice piece of wood!  I know a lot of you probably wouldn't consider this snaky stave to be a good learners bow, but I'm making the most of things.  Tillering the few board bows I have done before was awfully easy, but I feel as though  having some much more experienced eyes on this difficult osage bow would be immensely helpful.

The tiller picture is from low brace at 20"

When looking at the handle you can see a significant knot, because of this which limb would be better on top?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage Character Bow Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:18 am »
Beautiful so far. Get it to a full 6" brace and continue on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:45 am »
Welcome to P.A.  Your bow looks good so far.  I hope you post some pictures of it finished up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:06:08 am »
A shot of it relaxed would help.  It appears as though the right limb may leave the handle at a different angle than the left???  Maybe the bow is not completely level on the stick.  Get it level on the cradle, stand it up straight against the wall and the responses will be more helpful to you, especially after seeing an unbraced shot.  Looks pretty good having said all that.  The right limb does appear to be weaker from my perch.  Were it me I would have already taken care of finishing out the handle so that I didnt change the tiller fixing those rough spots.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:22:42 am »
Tiller looks pretty good to me. I would do as Slim suggests with smoothing up the handle. Mainly the spot on the fade. I don't think you are in danger but I would address it before going further with removing wood from the limbs.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 11:29:41 am »
On these snaky roller coaster staves, trust in your thickness taper.
When you run your "finger calipers" from the fade to tip it should have a slight thickness taper, with no thin or thick spots

Offline 100grains

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:51 pm »
I appreciate all of the input so far, I'll go work on the handle and take some more pictures.

The right limb does indeed leave the handle at a different angle, the knot just in the fade area causes this.

I know many people have a distinct hate for carved in shelves, but would it be a problem to go around that knot or should it go on the other fade?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 12:33:53 pm »
Welcome to PA! 

I believe you have gotten some good advice on where to go next. 
I wouldn't cut in a shelf just yet.  You can leave enough meat to do that later.  I think what John is saying is to address the fades.
Once you get  the bow to a shooting point and decide what limb is the top. Then you can cut in a shelf.
Do what Pearl said to,  get that sucker to full brace.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:40:00 pm »
I have one with a very similar issue regarding a knot at the top of the handle causing the limb to exit the handle different than the other. If you leave it that way you can't tiller to that picture perfect profile in symmetry. Both limbs need to bend equally, therefor the braced profile will LOOK off, but will BE correct. You can also heat and bend it level or make both limbs match one another. Either will work but I like to start level. It may not be much, that's why I asked for an unbraced look. As for carving through a knot in the handle, doable for sure, but one more thing that could cause a problem. Semi cut-in shelf??

Offline 100grains

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »
Well I did some more work on the handle area, as well as bringing down the weight.  I may be seeing things but the spot a few inches up from the fade on the top limb appears to have a slight hinge.  The weight is currently exactly where I want it, is everything alright to finish it up?
Thank you

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 08:13:19 pm »
10sq'd .....
The full draw looks better than what's on the tillering tree.  I think if you move the arrow nocking point up just a bit on that full draw pic the tiller will look pretty good.

But. the top limb looks just a little stiff half way out
DBar
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:31:11 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:31:54 pm »
Ditto Danzn Bar. Knock the arrow level with the rest and I think your good.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 08:32:19 pm »
You did a great job of tillering that stave. The only thing I can see is some little scrapes about 6" back from the tips on both limbs. Not much, but I think it will make your release a hair smoother.

Then , again, I have a problem calling one finished :).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:31 pm »
By the way 10 sq'd .....darn good job on that stave................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 08:46:46 pm »
Well done for sure!!
Yep,  raising the nocking point and you should be good!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!