Author Topic: Stiff Handle With No Shelf Designs?  (Read 2535 times)

cool_98_555

Stiff Handle With No Shelf Designs?
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm just curious to see all of your bows with a stiff non-bending handle without an arrow shelf on them.  I like this type of bow and I'm trying to get new ideas for a shape or design for the next bow im working on right now.  I'm not a big fan of built-up arrow rests either.  I'm just looking for designs of stiff-handled bows with no shelf, just shoot off the hand.  Looking forward to seeing what designs you have on your bows!

Offline bubby

Re: Stiff Handle With No Shelf Designs?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:22:46 pm »
It is pretty simple just build a handle that is comfy and don't put a rest on it, personally i don't think the rest has any bering on the handle
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:52:11 pm »
Blend the fade area where you would normally cut in a handle just like the other 3 width fade areas. I use a bulbous handle and usually they come out slightly bendy, my choice but not necessary.  I start with a 1 1/2" circle dead center in the handle, 2" out from that going both directions, I put a 1" circle. Two inches out from there on each limb is generally the widest part of the bow. Draw a line from that point to the outer point on the small circle, from there to the outside of the big circle and back to the other small circle and back to the other wide point. This will give you a basic, rough bulbous handle to be fitted to your liking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 04:13:00 pm »
I like a simple bulberus type handle for off the knuckle  it's verry comfortable I make a striker plate out of a thin peace of leather put between to boards and squeezed thiner in the vice
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:28:44 pm »
After using this shape a bit it's getting to be my favorite shape. It's small and comfortable.

Kyle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »
If anything the rest acts as a good locator for good arrow placement during shooting.  I do as everybody says above and i am a fan of a floppy rest.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 04:42:08 pm »
I like to dish out the arrow pass area and use a floppy rest.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 05:11:00 pm »
Have this hornbow with a handle built up on the back. Want to make selfbows with somewhat long handles (5"? maybe 4" really would be enough), I shoot with no rest at all. Was thinking either just a straight boring handle, or maybe bulbous but sort of asymmetric to leave space for an arrow pass (vertical), handle 1" wide or so and deeper/ I think the hornbow is 1 1/8" wide at the handle

I really don't know if I'd want it bulbous on the back or belly, and/or bulbous in width as well. Or narrower in the middle.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:18:53 pm by loon »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:28:19 pm »
Personal preference for how it feels in your hand and your normal hand placement.Mine are bulbous type also.I made templets that I will lay on the back of bow at the handle I trace out for my handles before carving them in.General rule with safety on that is at least twice the depth of handle compared to the width of the arrow pass.Example....5/8" wide arrow pass with it being at least 1.25" deep there.Here's some pics.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Snake River Stickbow

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 08:32:31 pm »
I have been trying out this handle on the last few bows I made. I think it helps me shoot well because it lends itself to my style. I glue on a leather arrow shelf and trim that down, then wrap it. I haven't cut in a shelf in quite a while now and don't really miss them.
And I also really like Beadman's reply as well, good stuff.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 08:42:45 am »
Cut-in rests and nearly center shot self-bows  are a relatively recent happening in primitive bows.
I usually glue on a piece of leather as a shelf at the top of the handle covering.
There are buildalongs on my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 01:27:09 pm »
Yes George. In fact, historically, they are a recent happening on ANY bow. Most bows made by the guilds and later bowyers such as James Duff had cylindrical handles. I never cut a rest and have come to like the cylindrical handles, which are one result of making take-downs with a round steel sleeve.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

cool_98_555

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 02:00:38 pm »
I love seeing pictures of all these handle designs.  I have seen a few designs where the handle was dished out only on the belly side.  That might be an interesting handle design for next time. 

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 11:50:46 pm »
Here is what I did. No bend in the handle and I just glued on a piece of antler for a rest. I like it a whole bunch!

"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 05:45:19 pm »
I like to narrow the arrow pass on just one side, to keep the arrow closer to center.  7/8" is as narrow as I go.

Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.