Author Topic: making a new batch of mead!  (Read 2424 times)

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
making a new batch of mead!
« on: July 05, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
meant to get this started earlier in the week but I decided to play around with a new mead recipe.

I went to the local farmer's market this past Friday and bought 3lbs of honey from one of the local beekeepers and picked up a pink lady apple, a bosc pear, and some fresh cherries too.

Got the yeast Saturday morning and thinned out the honey with some warm water and put it in the jar, then added the fruit, then activated the yeast, then topped it off with some more warm water and closed it up with the bubbler.

This is going to be a sweet mead and if it works out in a couple of months I'm going to do a 5 gallon batch to bottle for Christmas gifts this year.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: making a new batch of mead!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:09:51 pm »
That ought to be good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:11:10 pm »
We have a meadery down the road from me ,,it's big time ,,,they have wonderful favors I hope your adventure turns out like them!! But you will never be able to show up empty handed again good luck! JeffW

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:46:07 pm »
My bro in law tried a batch last winter. He didn't do anything more than ruin a bunch of perfectly good honey :)

Hope yours turns nicely.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:58:18 pm »
If he didn't wait a winter or two after he made it to drink, yea, he ruined some good honey.

Good meade takes a long time to age.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »
Mead is bubbling strong! Was worried it wouldn't take but it set off sometime early Friday.

Started a 2nd gallon as a gift for my wife's family yesterday. It's nectarine and peach with 1 cinnamon stick. Should be ready around December.

Going to start a 5 gallon batch of show mead (basically just honey and yeast and water) and a 1 gallon cherry and plum mead in the next week or two.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:17:41 pm »
I've made many kinds of mead. The fruity stuff will finish up much quicker than the plain mead.  I let one carboy age for over a year before I bottles it, I racked it 4-5 times.
Half I left dry, the other half I back sweetened with a little more honey.
Mead is one of the easier things to home brew and be drinkable, just need to be very patient

Offline phyankord

• like to do work with my hands more than my mind.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:14:01 am »