Author Topic: completed musket  (Read 6740 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: completed musket
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 09:20:59 pm »
Ed, shoots more then an ounce. My 12 gauge shoots an ounce round ball, .69 cal.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 08:52:05 am »
Yowzaaa!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:50 am »
A 10 ga. technically is measured by casting lead balls in the exact diameter of the bore and counting how many balls it takes to add up to a pound.  In the case of a ten guage, that would be...lemme see, gotta do the math...sixteen ounces to the pound, one tench of a pound, carry the 7, subtract the exponent, square the compound interest, the train leaving Philadelphia was travelling south at 44 miles per hour...aw heck, you figger it out. 

Something like 1.6 oz, or 700 grains.

Typically, in these bigger bores, folks like to choose a roundball about 15-20/1,000ths smaller than the actual bore.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 09:26:25 pm »
 ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:41 pm »
I see yea.Don't ya love going back to school.Ha ha ha.
All I'm really familiar with is my .54 cal.Johnny brown hawken gun.I shoot around a 280 grain or so ball from that with a .52 cal  ball with a.10 pillow tick patch.I just estimated the weight comparing caliber to grains.
That .75 caliber ball will give a heck of a shove on your shoulder with 150 grains behind it.An ounce and a half....I'd use some FF in it to have it burn a tad slower and reduce the jolt some.What a gun!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 09:27:22 am »
I will start with 90ff . ! go .015 under bore and wad like a shot gun. I also take the ball and put them
on a board and with a old rasp roll them around and put marks in the ball. They will shoot straighter
and farther like a golf ball. In the 18th century the did that. Kegs of RB have been found that way.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:04 am »
I have "plated" cast balls between two sheets of glass and rolled to flatten the sprues, but I have never heard of dimpling! 

My .62 has proven pretty straight shooting, but now I have to wonder if I can get a little more effective range from her with this trick!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 11:20:17 am »
Dimpled balls or else called chewed balls.. There's 2 schools of thought on those.. The yaa or naa crowd.. Can't hurt giver a try.. I rescued a unloved 40cal smoothbore some ham handed hack tried to improve the lock and refinish the stock.. It's my winter project.. I want to give dimpled balls a honest go and see what happens..

JW - That's some fine gizzintas
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 11:35:19 am »
 The late Kit Ravenshear and Jess Melott passed along this info years ago

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »
They had an article in one of the recent Muzzleloader Magazines about dimpled balls. It was pretty interesting.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Stoker

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 03:30:41 pm »
I first read about it on the American longrifle forom .. It does a long history behind it.. In a lot of ways makes sense.. Compared to a golf ball but I believe predates it.. There was a thread on the forom and a fellow built a tumbler.. It was a stainless steel bowl mounted on about a 45' angle powered by a small motor and the roundballs slowly tumbled over each other producing dimples much like a golf ball..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 04:13:21 pm »
I wonder if originally they were just trying to get the ball to fit the barrel better and found that they shot better. I can't imagine that they were thinking about aerodynamics.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
paper cartridges were the norm for the military. Except matchlocks . They used the apostle gear.
They were ahead for their time. Just primitive to us.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:02 am »
Great gun and getting all the parts from the Rifle Shop makes it really special according to what other folk have said about dealing with the place.

I have an Issac Hanes kit waiting in the wings that I bought off the Stickbow classified. Some guy bought it from Track, kept it a long time and realized he didn't have the skills to put it together. He traded it to another guy for some vintage bows, the other guy was a flintlock builder. I bought the kit from guy #2 for $650 shipped. Guy #2 told me he was a builder with more barrels and wood than he could ever get to in his lifetime so he sold the kit to raise a little cash.

This kit has the best of everything, Rice Barrel, Chambers lock, at least grade 5 wood and already has the buttplate and sights installed by Track. I totaled the kits parts on Tracks website and came up with $1100 conservatively, sometime you just get lucky.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 09:36:13 am »
 I guess I have been fortunate. Every time I have got parts from them they had all I needed.
I had the parts for this one in 2 weeks.