Author Topic: How to string a short bow of 44"?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline bow101

Re: How to string a short bow of 44"?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »
Does not take much effort to build a stringer.   I broke a bow once using the push pull method.   Almost every Professional bowyer states on their website not to use the push pull or step through.  Warranty Void....!!!   >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:38 pm »
True, but it's kinda like the warning label on iron on decals that says "Warning Do Not Wear Shirt While Ironing on Decal".  I mean...really?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »
I wont argue with the Pros but then again the effort involved using a stringer is minuscule.  I is no Wimp........ >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 05:13:29 pm »
No pro here I assure you.  I'm a just a journeyman who's built them and broke them about every way conceivable, and yet I have never broken one with the step thru method.  Never.  I just wonder if there is anything to it, or is it just something that got repeated often enough that it has become one of the commandments.  I understand that if your not careful things can get twisted up wrongly, that's a given.  But just use a little horse sense for goodness sake.  You're right bow101, in that a stringer makes stringing one nearly bullet proof.  But in lue of that just exercise a little caution.  Stumbling and stepping on the limb could be the biggest risk.   
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline loon

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 07:26:22 pm »
I bought a stringer and it didn't work well at all for my siyah bows. I should make one with paracord :\ then I won't need to make a bow press for horn bows, duh

The only way for push-pull to take less strength than step-through for me is to step on the bow at the handle. Otherwise push-pull is too hard for bows of >40lbs

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 10:26:34 pm »
Warranty void if you string bow.....  ( no connec8with reality just a funny ( to me ) thought ))

I seen people almost squeeze out a turd doing push pull. Step through is a breeze, just be certain the handle is centered in your knee.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others