Author Topic: Under the eye  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Under the eye
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 03:10:54 pm »
DC, are you concentrating on each shot. Making sure that your form is right and you have a smooth draw and clean release? I used to shoot 100 arrows a day. I started to realize that the last half of my shooting session I was getting sloppy so I cut back to about a dozen or two shots per session. Once your shooting muscles are developed you shouldn't have to shoot a lot of arrows to keep in shape. About a week before hunting season I got down to 1 shot a day or one in the morning and one in the evening. When you are hunting that's all you get and usually you've been sitting for an hour or more. That one arrow will make the difference in taking home the meat or not.
 Also don't grip the bow too hard and don't grip the string/arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 12:31:01 am »
I was having similar results from strictly instinctive shooting. I shoot three under now, which has helped. I have now changed my approach after watching one of Clay Hayes video. I let my bow arm figure out the distance to the target(like instinctive) but I sight down the arrow for my left/right alignment. I have noticed a considerable improvement in my grouping and especially stumpshooting. I find shooting groups very monotonous, but hitting targets at un-known distances exhilarating! Something that has helped me while having some backyard practice is to shoot at an object in front of my block. This helps a bunch. I find the bag/blocks hard to focus on. I have been jamming an apple on a stake in front of the bag, that has made a big difference. I will try to get up there and have a round or two with you Don!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 01:50:51 am »
This is what I see with thumb draw, roughly

I would expect the arrows to go left, but they tend not to. I think I really need to work on my release & follow through..

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 02:06:01 am »
I am with you DC.I am pretty spotty in my shooting accuracy when coming off a lay off of any length. I have to divert back togap shooting and this does involve knowing distance to some extent but not at hunting distances. I am conscious of sighting down the arrow and the gap of point to target relationship. I like to shoot some longer distances, up to 30 and 40 yds because it seems to be easier to find out what problems I am having with my form. I usually start getting more "instinctive" at my self imposed distance of 17 yds by hunting season and like Pat says my shooting is not as much and more based on the first shot accuracy.

I have to look down the arrow and it has to be under my eye when I am practicing for season but that seems to get more "instinctive" as I go into hunting mode. I feel your pain.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 06:34:54 am »
Most tube shooters or gap shooters shoot 3 under that I see, that puts the arrow closer to the eye and shortens the point on distance. Not much different than shooting with 1 pin on a bow except you use the tip of the arrow and put it high or low on the target depending on the distance you are shooting. You will have a point on distance which you will have to learn where you put the tip of the arrow right where you want to hit but at any other distance you have to adjust the point of the arrow up or down. In this style it really don't matter is you close 1 eye because you need to know the distance anyway so depth perception really don't matter I shoot split with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth both eyes open, basically make sure my shoulders are squared up with the target and point , draw back to anchor touch and release. It does take practice at different distances but over time your mind will make the adjustments for you. Not sure you call it instinctive but that's how I shoot.  ;) You won't get it over night and I will say most tube/gap shooters are more accurate [another can of worms] but I have watched hundred's if not thousands of Traditional shooters and most time the best shots shoot some type of aiming system but that being said about all I am interested in is hunting and that is a close up game for me so my style is fine for that if not better.  ;) It all depends on what you are looking for in your shooting. ;) Sorry for the rambling  ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 10:24:52 am »
My "Shooting the Stickbow" book goes through instinctive, gap, finger walking and also "split vision". This is what you are doing Blayne. It's basically instinctive with a quick look to see if your arrow is actually pointing at the target. (You guys probably knew that) I'm also trying that. It seems to work for me. I changed my anchor point so the web of my thumb is on the  back of my jawbone. This seems to have (at least temporarily) solved my target panic. It takes me a moment to settle in to my new anchor and I think it breaks the panic chain. I changed to a lighter bow, that helps a lot. I dropped about 5#. maybe one of these days I will actually shoot a "group". That will be my version of a ten point buck! 

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 12:19:33 am »
I guess it is called split vision. Never really thought about a name, it just works for me. I have that book too, haven't gotten to that part yet ;D another thing you can do it just move up to say 5 yards and get a good group there, then 8, then 10 etc to tighten up your groups. I only have 10 yards to practice at home, and when I stump shoot I like to take shots out to 30 yards. And I am very pleased with how well I can hit what I want(or darn close) without worrying about groups. Since I am focused for hunting, stumping gets me the practice I need for that pursuit.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 09:20:12 pm »
A good way to help improve your shooting "instincts" is areal targets. Make some 6 feather fletched flu flu's and shoot at a round piece of foam thrown like a clay pigeon. It will help with your speed, over thinking and keeping both eyes open.

I find rifles and crossbows are for aiming with a single dominant eye, while shotguns and selfbows are more about consistent proper form and a visual target lock. If your form is on point the arrow or shot goes where your target lock is focused.

I am rather lanky so I made my selfbow draw anchor the side of my nose under my eye, which got me down to a more common draw length of 28" If I'm really shooting well I am usually a shot or two away from my finger tab smacking me in the eyeball. Most of the time I'm so focused on the target I don't see it coming. Oh well no pain no gain.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 07:02:27 am »
Me myself....I look at the target not so much the arrow. I'm not smart enough to worry about two things at once  ;D so I put all of my energy into my target