Author Topic: New Buckskin Shirt  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Peatreg

New Buckskin Shirt
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:17:27 pm »
Got my new buckskin shirt finished. Other shirts I've made were native in style and for this one I wanted a non tribal shirt, something maybe a trapper would have worn. Buckskin coats are well documented during the fur trade but a buckskin shirt isn't very well documented. This is my idea of what one might have looked like.

Shirt is done with imitation and smoked deer hides. I found them harder to sew than braintanned but feel, color and look is incredibly close. As a slightly cheaper material I find the stuff incredible. Shirt is sewn with artificial sinew. There is no collar but the neck is reinforced with blue trade cloth secured with thin strip of buckskin. The shirt instead of being fully sewn along the sides is held together with thongs very much like a native shirt. Cutting the sides straight and sewing might be more of an Anglo look but honestly I was sick of sewing!!  There is much more sewing on a shirt like this.

I plan on attempting to bowhunt in this shirt and took it out this weekend to see how the fringe might affect shooting the bow. Couple minor hiccups but nothing that can't be worked around. I'm going to shoot some more and test it out further.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Buckskin Shirt
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 05:18:53 pm »
Very cool buckskin shirt.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:53:31 pm »
Super nice ;D

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:17:55 am »
Awesome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:42:16 am »
I like it, very nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 04:04:16 am »
Sweet ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:49:51 am »
great work and beatiful shirt.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 06:14:07 am »
Outstanding!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 07:08:49 am »
Great job!

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 04:33:22 am »
outstanding job. About  how long did it take you to put your shirt together?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:59:43 am »
Very nice work.Cool that your gonna hunt in it too.I've thought about doing that with my outfit and should but it still sits in the cedar box come October 1st.Having tight fitting clothing around my bow arm is a must for me.
Not all Indian style shirts have the legs dangling along the bottom edge either.I used to make brain tan clothes with all the esccessive danglies.Even full length coyote hat too.Found out rendezvousing and cooking on a camp fire things get burnt falling into the fire.....lol.
Many many stickery things[bur docks,stick tights,and cocoburs] catch onto those danglies too roving through the brush.At least here anyway....lol, but the feeling of  the outfit on in the woods is pretty cool.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 03:47:57 pm »
outstanding job. About  how long did it take you to put your shirt together?

Strictly dealing with sewing time it took longer than a typical native shirt because of the fully sewn sleeves and shoulder seam. Plus I found it dang near impossible to stitch without using a pliers to push it in and pull it through. That and I had to switch my thought process making this since it's more complicated than a native shirt. All told a couple months but you could probably do it all in a couple weeks.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 04:31:38 pm »
A good choice for a first date! :D

Offline JEB

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 06:01:28 am »
Thanks. I  was at a white elephant sale and saw a  box marked leather for $10.00. Opened it up and saw deer hide and bought it. Got it home and there are 7 complete tanned deer hides  in the box so now I have to figure out what to do with them.  Would really like a vest made but may have enough for a shirt also.