Author Topic: Can't Shoot - Leather Projects  (Read 4217 times)

Offline cantshoot

Can't Shoot - Leather Projects
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:47:06 pm »
Been making some leather archery supplies, mostly out of scrap, to save a little bit of cash and for some fun projects.

Here's the first one, almost done in these photos is a leather archery glove. I did spring for a piece of glove tan leather for this one and I don't regret it. After making this one the wife liked it so much she needed one too, so we spent saturday morning sewing another one before we went out shooting.

I couldn't reall be bothered with working out a pattern in advance, so I made each finger individually so I could adjust and fit the lengths when I attached them to the glove.

I made the buckle strap and the back and laced them together, and then used a bit of glue to fit each finger in place while I sewed them up. Since then I added some rivets for extra reinforcement and to make it look more badass. The wife's has way more rivets because she was getting impatient to hit the range/bored of sewing.

End result is well fitted to our hands, and pretty comfy! The fingers have a single piece of leather looped around the inside and sewn at the base, so as they stretch/wear or heavier bows are used we should be able to easily add additional layers of padding to them.

Definitely learned a lot doing this one, and there is 2/3 of a piece of glove tan in the project box for future crafting. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can't Shoot - Leather Projects
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:24:43 pm »
Nice job.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mounter

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:23:20 pm »
Looks good man!! And will only fit better as you break it in.

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:17:37 am »
Does anyone have tips for a good way to apply a finish to them? I was thinking about using some paste wax and a heat gun on low... Never tried it though.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:19 am »
Mink oil on leather is what I use. Or go to a local sporting goods and look for baseball glove break in oil. It's awesome but skittle more expensive.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:12:14 am »
I use Mink Oil or Montana Pitch Blend. What I do is put the glove on, rub in whatever treatment you use and hand rub it is well. The heat from the friction of hand rubbing will help the treatment sink in.   Once a year I wash my glove in a mild detergent and warm water to get rid of the salts from your hand. After a good rinsing I put the glove back on(still damp) to re-shape it then set it aside to dry. After it dries it will be stuff but another treatment, hand rubbed in will soften it up again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:29:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Latest project is a quiver. The leather on tho one came from an old and egregiously unfashionable jacket I got for 15$ at the thrift store. Can make each sleeve into a quiver and the rest of it saved for a future project. Or wear it as the ugliest vest in human history lol.

Still a work in progress haven't quite decided how to attach it, either belt loops or its own belt.

I also plan to make a removable fabric liner for when inevitably a muddy arrow makes its way in.

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 02:30:24 pm »
Pic

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:07 pm »
Was it a bikers jacket? Any leather jackets I've found have been very thin leather. I thought a bikers jacket may be thicker.

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 02:58:13 pm »
It is pretty thin stuff. But I stiffened it by soaking and redrying it and added some ribs of thick scrap leather on the inside and a thick leather cup in the bottom did the ribs an inch wide because I wanted to do the stitching on the inside and reverse it

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:33 pm »
Done one quiver! This one will be for my wife.

I'll have to make another one now.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
Nice :)
The quiver looks very light weight
I like that  8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.