Author Topic: Twisted limbs  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Twisted limbs
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:34:11 pm »
Hi everyone.   I'm new to bow building and have a piece of wood that I'm not sure where to start with. I've only built 3 bows so inexperienced is an understatement. This stave has about 30 degrees of twist from tip to tip.  I was hoping to build a recurve from this piece is that possible?  If not can i still make a working bow from it with this much twist?
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Twisted limbs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:07:43 am »
Some prop twist doesn't usually cause much problems in a straight-limbed bow, but it can be a real headache in a recurve. Some woods are fairly easy to heat twist out of, some aren't. What kind of wood are you working with?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:55:47 am »
I'd say if you want to build a recurve start with a straight piece of wood. Like Steve said, you can deal with twist in a straight limbed bow. Jawge's website has a good example and build along with a major twisted stave. What kind of wood do you have?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:00:03 am »
Pat prolly meant to give you this link  ::) http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:06:00 am »
Thank you all for the info. I'm working with a piece of hickory. I'm gonna make another huntin bow out of it i guess.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:59:04 am »
Hickory will straighten out very good with dry heat[heat gun] just oil it down with cooking oil
and heat it till you can touch it ,but can't hold you finger on it ,and clamp it to something that will take it just a little passed where you want it to be and it will stay very well.We do that all the time.
It won't hurt much as long as it don't throw the string off,but I don't like it anyway so I try and get
at lest the worst out. :) Good luck.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:10:21 am »
Thanks again everyone for all the information. I got most all of the twist out of it and its well on its way to being this years new hunting bow. I should have it done in a couple days and be out slinging arrows.  Thank you all!!!
Wayne Silverthorn