Author Topic: Time & Heat  (Read 3934 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Time & Heat
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:45:59 am »
I'm currently working on a osage bow that I've flipped the tips on. There were initial alignment problems and I tweaked the tips a couple of more times to correct these. My question is this, how long do some of you wait after tweaking wood with dry heat to re-string the bow and check the outcome? After the wood has completely cooled, would it not be stable enough to check or do you think it improves in stability by giving it overnight for example?

This last time I tweaked the tips, I let it cool a couple of hours and then restrung it to check the alignment at brace. I did not pull the bow further, and immediately unstrung it after checking it.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Lost Arra

Re: Time & Heat
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:19 am »
I let wood sit over night after heating and bending but this is just a habit and I have no idea if waiting that long is necessary.
I do know that when I get in a hurry in any aspect of bowbuilding it increases my chances for problems.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:33:15 am »
Over night here too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:52:57 am »
Greg, I just wait till the wood is cool to the touch with osage, white woods I tend to let rest a day or two after a servere heat treating where I think it may have lost a lot of moisture. I tried working a iron wood bow the same day once and she blew on me, not sure if that was why or not but Ive let white woods rest for a while ever since then to just to be safe.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:45 pm »
You already know my feelings on this but I will tell anyway  :) I 'm with Ryan on the white wood
and really rather leave Osage over night also if I have the option,And I usually do.If nothing else it seem to hold better if left over night or longer.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:55:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies...I guess the safe bet is if you're not in a hurry why not wait overnight.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:18 pm »
I'm a beginner also.   When I heat bent for the first time (recurving osage tips) I let it cool for about 24 hrs still clamped in the form.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 12:40:59 am »
I usually let a bow rest until the next day after heating. I want to be sure it has cooled and usually I have other bows in the works to play with. ;D  Even if the bow feels cool to the touch it could still be warm inside. I use oil on bows when I heat them and I believe it holds the heat longer. Sometimes I will wrap the heated area with aluminum foil to allow it to cool very slowly. Because I do this it needs to sit til tomorrow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:08 am »
I use oil on bows when I heat them and I believe it holds the heat longer.     Pat

Pat

Does the oil affect the wood taking stain such as on white wood, especially using water based stains or dyes?

wvflintknapper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:56:10 am »
I have noticed that the oil doesn't go that deep into the wood. I leave the wood proud before heating so when it gets shaped, that wood is removed anyway. You can also wipe the area with alcohol, acetone or other solvent to remove any oil that might be left behind.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:28:48 am »
I've still got the tips clamped on a hickory stave that I heated with a gun to flip the tips on from Monday. The white woods seem to lose reflex if I unclamp too quickly. Osage I just leave til the next day and haven't had any problems.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956