Author Topic: Peace pipe  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Oglala Bowyer

Re: Peace pipe
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 11:09:59 am »
A word of caution with using a wire to burn a hole thru the stem is that it tends to expand the actual hole (pith) and can weaken the wall portion of the plug that goes into the stone, not to mention sucking excess hot ash. Don't ask me how I know. Soft woods like sumac tend to do this more easily. You can learn a lot in 15 years making pipes.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 11:15:07 am »
Thank for all the really cool info Ed and the name of the book. Somebody holding a red hot coal to my behind probably make me move faster too. lol I've seen the split and carved stem my cousin's son made a real snaky one using that method
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 01:15:15 pm »
Thanks for the word of caution Oglalabowyer. No better teacher than real life experience especially the bad ones. lol.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 11:47:28 pm »
OK....I can't resist and hope you don't mind but here's a pic of my pipe stems/bowl/pipe bag.Sumac pipe stems & red pipestone bowl.4 winds theme on all parts.Smaller pipe stem is used for the sweat lodge.

Smaller pipestone bowl/osage stem/with neck pouch set up.

These things get to be kinda personal so design or theme or whatever is not for all.Made mine myself.I see you are too.A bit of thought can go into these things.Dealing with the weather working and hunting all my life the 4 winds theme suited me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 02:55:53 am »
Very nice stuff guys. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 07:08:52 am »
Thanks for all the info and especially the pictures Ed I'm glad you posted them I was thinking about asking for some pictures of other members peace pipes I love the info and pictures are worth more than a thousand words to me.
Bjrogg