Author Topic: Weight vs. Spine  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Kegan

Weight vs. Spine
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:34:36 pm »
seems some of my heavier arrows are less finicky about spine, most of the energy going jsut to shove the thing from the bow with different weight bows. Maybe it's just me though. Anyone else know what I'm talking about, or might be able to explain what's going on?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Weight vs. Spine
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:21:07 pm »
Hey Kegan,

Maybe I'm not the guy to be answering this question but here goes:

You shoot short draw bows, right?  Same here.  I've noticed that stiffer spined arrows are resistant to the sudden "snap" of a short bow with a short draw.  Weak arrows will kinda "whip" to the left before they leave the bow (assuming you're holding the bow in your left hand).

When "spining by fire", I always start with VERY heavy spines and work down.

Hope this helps to answer your question?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:28:22 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:45:34 pm »
Now that I think about it, I've read that heavier arrows will make most bows more efficient.  This efficiency, in turn, means you can shoot a stiffer arrow?  Also, when you say a "heavier" arrow, I'm assuming that the spine is also stiffer.....and the heaviness is in the shaft (not the point).....and that all the bow handles are approximately the same width (and not very narrow)?

Clear as mud?   >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:33:45 pm »
G. Fred Ashbell just a an article about this in one of the other mags.  :o
I seem to remember heavier arrows are more forgiving of spine.

I hope this helps.  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:48:23 pm »
Arrows are hickory- roughly 800 grains or so. Spined at about 75-80# or so. Don't recal specifics. All bows generally have the same width handle about 1 1/2". Some were a bit wider, others slightly slimmer. All bows shot the arrows accurately, the only difference being at what differecne (to to drop). 55#, 60#, 63#, 73#, and 80#.

I think, and this is just theorizing, that a light physical weighted of the arrow has less mass to knock around off course. Say you have a stiff arrow that's about 300 grains. It would easily fly off the mark. Same with a weak flimsy arrow. But the heavy arrow, being hard to knock off couse, would fly "more accurately" because all the energy is just in getting the miserable thing from the bow. Like shooting a steel pipe from a bow- it just goes ahead. I noticed this from the fact that the Englsih seemed to put more emphasis on weight than stiffness, even after they no longer skewered people.